An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Thursday, September 26, 2013

To Boldly Go Where this City Girl Hasn’t Gone Before: Camping


Now don’t scoff. While it’s true that I have never done the overnight camping thing, this doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy the great outdoors. I can hike mountain trails, bike for miles and miles, and raft down a Class IV river. I like the woods and the mountains. I am not afraid of a little dirt.
It’s just that at night I want a bathroom with hot shower and a flushing toilet; I want a bed with crisp, clean sheets; I want air conditioning; and I want to be able to sleep without relying on a thin fabric wall to protect me from things that go bump in the night, creepy crawlies, or even an ax murderer, for that matter.

Of course, there are those in my family who do camp. Every few years Nonno plans a campout/fishing trip, and this is what usually happens: the guys go, the girls don’t.  We do, however, make an appearance on the second day to bring reinforcements (i.e. Bojangles chicken), but in the evening we go back to our beds and air conditioning thank-you-very-much.

But wait. The Tectonic plates in the earth’s surface have shifted and the stars have realigned, or something, because tomorrow I have decided to join the guys on their camping trip. You heard that right. Tomorrow night I will be somewhere … out there … camping.
In a tent. Without showers, air conditioning, or an outlet to plug in my hair dryer. Worst of all, I have been informed that I must make do with boiled water and instant coffee; in other words, no morning cappuccino. Bleck. Talk about roughing it.

I am ready, though. I have plans, and they don't include sharing a tent with a bunch of guys. Luckily for me a good friend (who camps all the time) has outfitted me with my very own tent, an air mattress, and camp chairs. And because she knows me, she also threw in some hanging lanterns and colored lights for ambience. It will be a campsite makeover.
It will be fun!
Just tell all the creepy crawlies to stay far, far away.
 

3 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

My father served in the Army during the Korean War. He was a city boy. After that "camping" experience, he never wanted to do anything remotely similar.

So besides sleeping in a tent in my backyard a few times as a child, my first camping was done on a mission trip in Mexico. I lived through it three times, but I'm okay never repeating the experience!

Do Not Be Anxious said...

It is Sunday as I write this, and it appears you haven't got back from your overnight camping trip yet --- or haven't recovered.

Do we send out the search party, or send over the Calamine Lotion and heating pads --- or do we plan the wake?

Maria (also Bia) said...

Ellen ... wow, three times in Mexico. I don't know, but I'm thinking there weren't any Comfort Stations over there :-)

Tom ... no search party. No Calamine lotion. A heating pad would be nice. I did have an air mattress, but still.