Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Friday, December 20, 2013

Follow the Leader (just don't follow me)


Two nights ago my mom, sister and I spent a lovely two hours taking a candlelight tour of the Biltmore House in Asheville, North Carolina. We had one of the last tour times, so by the time we finished it was almost 10 p.m. when we pulled out of the parking lot and started driving down the winding, two lane road that would lead us off the estate grounds.

During the day, that two lane road is so incredibly beautiful with lush woods, stone bridges, and breathtaking views. But at night, that same drive is very, very dark. There are no street lights, and  our only illumination came from the almost full moon directly overhead. Still a beautiful drive, but one that required my full attention.

At one point I glanced in the rearview mirror and realized that since I had been the first to pull out of the parking lot, I was driving the lead car. I hate when that happens. There were 12 cars behind me, all of them depending on me to follow the exit signs and be on the lookout for deer.

And there were deer. At one point I came to a complete stop, my headlights illuminating the four deer standing in the middle of the road. A family, with two babies. The 12 cars behind me also came to a complete stop, and we all resumed driving only after the deer ran off into the forest.

I was doing a good job of being the leader. Really.

But then I missed a turn. Well, then. No problem. I drove a little further until the road ended in a little cul-de-sac,  and as I was turning around we started laughing -- howling!-- because all 12 cars were circling right behind me.

Was it my fault? Who knows. But you would have thought that ONE of the cars would have seen that sign instead of blindly relying on little ol' me.

Sheep, all of them.

But, I got us -- ALL of us -- out of there.

Good shepherd that I am.

Antler Village, Biltmore Estate
(This was before the wine tasting ... there is no after photo,
and of that you should be grateful.)

1 comment:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

You know all the other cars were so glad they were not first, even with the tour of the "turnaround."