Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Sound of Music (kinda, sorta)


Tonight I will be watching Carrie Underwood's live stage version of The Sound of Music and, needless to say, I've been humming the songs all day long. I've also been thinking about this little incident ...

In college I had two friends (both guys) who were annoying, funny, quirky and irreverent, but I put up with them mostly because they played on my sympathies. They were not church goers, and they teased me about going to church and being so involved with the Catholic Center, but for some reason they liked to come visit me and talk. (On a side note, I did once get one of them -- a fallen away Catholic -- to come with me to confessions during Lent.)

Anyway, one Saturday night, long after I had gone to sleep, I awoke to the most awful racket. Standing outside my dorm window (I was on the first floor) these two slightly inebriated knuckleheads (just being honest here), were loudly singing, How do you solve a problem like Maria? They sang every verse. At the top of the lungs. At two in the morning. And if they couldn't remember a line, they just made one up.

Did I mention they were annoying?

But it did make me smile. And it still does.

1 comment:

Ua said...

Yes, indeed. I sang that song throughout my entire childhood. If you recall. It was necessary, having an annoying sister named Maria.