Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Question of the Day: Dream Interpretation



I dream in high definition. In my family, my dreams are the stuff of legends and they never know what to expect when I ask, "Do you want to hear about my dream?"


Last night, in my dream I was with a group of people in a museum. We were gathered around three works of art, one sculpture and two paintings. They were magnificent. Breathtaking.


When I woke up this morning, I could recall each one in great detail and yet, what I saw in my dream doesn't exist in this world.


So, I ask you: were those three pieces of art created in my subconscious, dream-like state?


If so, they are trapped there. Forever. I am not an artist and have no way of bringing them forth.


Which kind of makes me sad ...




One of Michelangelo's "prisoners" at the Accademia in Florence, Italy.
These unfinished figures by Michelangelo seem to be trying to free
themselves from the stone. Unlike most sculptors, Michelangelo worked
free hand, starting from the front and working back. As a result,
these "prisoners" seem to emerge from the stone (as his colleague
Vasari wrote) "as though surfacing from a pool of water."




Alas, the art in my mind is imprisoned forever.

1 comment:

Cathy Keller said...

Your's is the 2nd post I've read today about dreams...I still cannot remember my dreams...wonder what that means? Have a grand day! Cathy