Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Sunday Visit (and 7 quick takes)

I. The silence of Lent


It's been nice not worrying about Facebook. Or blogging.


I know it's just been since this past Ash Wednesday, but it's amazing how much more time I now have when I am not doing either.


I'm just going to check Facebook, I say.


I'm just going to pop in on my favorite blogs, I think.


But one link leads to another (there's a reason they call it surfing) and then by the time I remember the chicken thawing on the counter it's too late to cook it for dinner so I call Papa Johns.


The internet ... it's a time vampire.


II. The Whistler


Tying shoes. Blowing bubbles with pink, sticky bubble gum. Learning to push yourself on the swing.


All are important skills to master.


So is whistling, which our little guy just recently learned.


And now he whistles all the time: as he's playing with his Legos; while he's in the shower; we even heard him whistling in bed last night, practicing before he fell asleep. It's kind of cute. I mean, he's excited! He can whistle! What a big boy thing to do!


But it's also slightly annoying.


Mom, can you make him stop whistling? asks Jonathan, not very nicely.


I would say something, but the little guy is in the middle of a learning curve due to the fact that right now, in this very moment, he can only whistle when he inhales.


That's right, he whistles backwards.


And so he practices. A big exhale. Nothing. Big inhale. A whistle!


So that's where we are.


Stay tuned.


III. Picture phobia


So. I'm speaking at this year's Sacred Heart Garden Festival, and they need a photo of me. Ugh.


Okay, then. I tackle this little problemo and it only takes me three hours to find one that I (marginally) like. There. Done.


Or not.


The Web site for the event is still being finalized, but I show the family my photo and bio. And both Joe and my mom (in separate conversations) wondered why I picked that particular photo.


Now I am paranoid.


IV. Plant Killer


Bought a basil plant.


Killed a basil plant.


It took two days ... and here I am speaking at a garden festival.


They should go ahead and fire me.


V. Lenten Chain Reaction


1. My parents watch the movie, The Way, about the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
2. They loan it to me. I watch it, and it profoundly moves me.
3. I write a blog post to my son to wish him a Happy Birthday Buen Camino.
4. My sister reads my post and watches the movie over two days on her lunch break. She is moved.
5. Coincidentally, her priest makes a Santiago de Compostela "passport" so the students at St. John Neumann can participate in a Lenten pilgrimage.
6. She emails me the passport the priest made.
7. I talk to my son's teacher, and this Tuesday I am going to speak to the entire fourth grade about Santiago de Compostela. I prepared a PowerPoint presentation, and I have a passport and a scalloped shell for everyone.
8. Today my sister sends me this bracelet she made in honor of our pact ... she and I will walk to Santiago de Compostela within the next two years. We will take the shortest route that will enable us to qualify for the certificate, but it will still take us 10-12 days.



The Scalloped shell is the traditional symbol of a pilgim
on el camino to Santiago de Compostela. The shell's grooves,
which meet at a single point, represent the various routes
the pilgrims traveled to Santiago de Compostela.
Best sister.
Yes?
Yes.


VI. Excuse me, I  need a moment ...


To wipe my tears after re-reading my sister's note for the umpteenth time.


VII. Seven


I am reading the book 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.


Honestly, at first I was skeptical because I do not consider myself excessive. I am not a clutter bug. I clean out purge our closets several times a year. Presently my closet consists of some staple outfits, some hang-around-the-house items, and that's it. I don't own a lot of shoes (although, admittedly, I do have a watch thing). I don't even keep our toaster on the kitchen counter because I like a clean, streamlined look.


But I have to say, once I began reading the book I couldn't put it down. I read 7 in two days. It's funny, it's thought-provoking, and it is a wonderful way to incorporate different kinds of fasting into our Lenten journey.


For the first time, I feel like I have a tangible focus this Lenten season.


And that's a good thing.



1 comment:

Ray Visotski said...

I received my invitation to the Garden Festival…welcome to the big leagues….