An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, March 21, 2014

Priceless Memories (well, there was some cost involved, but still)



You would think that when a college student comes home for spring break there would be no cost involved.


Yeah, right.


Our son came home, announced that he's been invited to a formal in Milwaukee (yes, the Milwaukee in Wisconsin), and can-we-please-have-pity-on-him-because-he's-somewhat-broke-but-this-summer-he-has-an-internship-and-doesn't-that-count-for-something. Huh. He was pretty charming, though, as he made his case.


-one airplane ticket (No cost here ... Dad's frequent flyer miles!)
-a suit (A good suit is an investment! I'll use it for job interviews!)
-a fitted dress shirt (My arms are freakishly long; I need one that fits.)
-a bow tie (I don't know how to tie one, but I'll google it!)
-a black belt (The one I have is pretty crappy.)
-various toiletries in travel sizes (What's the rule? 15 ounces?)




And then, because he has impeccable timing, this happened ...



This is his actual cell phone.


I'm sure you're curious. Well, our smart college student (engineering major) was in the laundry room waiting for me to get my purse because we were going shopping for items 2-6 (see above), and for some inexplicable reason decided to jump to see if he could reach the ceiling (mind you, we have 10-foot ceilings). He leaped, his cell phone flew out of his pocket, and it landed face down on the ceramic tile.


There. are. no. words.


Fortunately, Peter at 10,000 Cell Phones had pity on Nicholas and took $15 off the standard $75 fee for a new iPhone screen. Why?  Because Nicholas liked them on Facebook, wrote a Google review, and endorsed their business on Yelp.


Good man, that Peter.


Later, my husband made the comment that it was a good thing for his wallet that Nicholas was leaving on Sunday; that it was actually cheaper to have him away at college. He was smiling when he said it, but somehow I don't think he was joking.









All kidding aside, we had a lovely, lovely week with our eldest son. Long conversations, laughter, stories. We created some wonderful memories, and that's something you can't put a price tag on. Ever.

Nicholas and Megan (she who is in Milwaukee)



4 comments:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Hm, whenever Mac came home, he slept most mornings until noon and then just hung around. But he made up for it, I suppose, when he moved states away for grad school and after.

Milwaukee? Formal? Do tell.

Ray V. said...

As the Daddy of said Megan, it is worth every penny…and you are also welcome to tag along as a chaperone….All kidding aside….we are pleased that Nicholas and Megan are "getting along"…albeit 829 miles apart…RJV

Maria (also Bia) said...

Ray, I was just informed by interested parties that I misspelled Megan. Yikes! I knew a Meghan (with an "h") in high school, hence the error.

It has been corrected, though ;-)

Ray V. said...

If that was the biggest problem you had yesterday, it was a pretty good day, eh?

I thought so.

I think we both did a good job embarrassing them a tad.