Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Friday, May 23, 2014

Do You Roller Coaster?



Since we are facing a three day weekend with gorgeous weather, we decided to attend Mass Saturday night and then on Sunday drive to Atlanta to go to Six Flags.


I am looking forward to a day trip with all of my guys, except that I'm still trying to figure out how to withstand peer pressure when Joe and the boys try to get me on Acrophobia. True to its name, the ride climbs 200 feet and, upon reaching the top, the chairs are tipped FORWARD 15 degrees and there is a PAUSE before you free fall to your death the bottom.


That does NOT sound fun.


Once upon a time I used to seek out the highest heights and the most thrilling thrills. I used to maniacally laugh at death defying drops and crazy loop-de-loops. But somewhere along the way I decided that I don't like my spine re-aligned, I don't like my neck being whipped about, and I don't like feeling dizzy.


Truthfully, I now avoid rides with names like Scorcher, Goliath and Ninja; instead, I opt for rides like Log Jamboree, Miss Dixie's Train Depot, and It's a Small World.


I have officially become the kind of Mom who walks her family to a ride, wishes them well, then waits at the exit ramp holding everyone's drinks, hats, and keys.


And I am perfectly okay with that. As for that peer pressure ... I'll suddenly find the need to go to the bathroom, or something.





Roller Coaster Haiku


Going up, up, and then up
while on a roller coaster.
Stop! I change my mind!


-from the files of very bad poetry by Bia

2 comments:

Do Not Be Anxious said...

I now plead that it affects my epilepsy and might cause me a seizure (even though it doesn't). I just am not into "thrills" anymore; give me sedate fun anytime.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

We used to seek out amazing coasters, my son and I, and then about ten years ago, I started blacking out on some of the intense coasters.

So I stopped.

I do miss it though. Such great summer fun.