Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Doctor who?



It's funny how God made boys.


Take our guy, for example. He likes to pick up dead bugs, has to be reminded to use soap (and shampoo) in the shower, and uses the words silent but deadly, atomic, and machine gun to classify you-know-what.


And yet, he gets totally squeamish with blood and guts.


Last year, the fourth grade science chapters dealing with the systems of the body totally grossed him out ... especially the digestive system. All that food digesting and moving through twisted, coiled intestines was enough to make him gag. Then the very fact that the large intestine could be up to five feet long just about did him in. Of course, we all found this terribly funny. It got to the point when we would just yell "Intestines!" and he would clutch his stomach in horror.


Yesterday I picked him up from school, and right away I could see something was up.


"Mom," he gravely announced. "Today was so gross. In science we studied ..."


And he paused because he had to swallow hard.


"We studied tendons!" he continued.


"What's wrong with tendons?" I asked. "We all have them."


"I know," he responded between gulps. "But they are stretchy, like a rubber band. That just makes my skin crawl."


Oh dear Lord, I think, please help me not to laugh.


Today wasn't much better. Evidently, in science they watched an educational video about cells and a doctor cuts a piece of skin (a skin graft?) and looks at it through a microscope to show the different kinds of cells. Oh the horror. He actually looks pale.


"Well, you know, you have cells right now swimming all over you," I inform him. "You can't see them, but they're there."


"STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!" he yells. "I'M TRYING TO EAT MY OREO COOKIES!"


Like I said, there's no telling how God made boys. Snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails ... and a whole lot of stuff in between.


A Day in the Life of a Boy
by Norman Rockwell

3 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

I'm with him - my daughter lost a tooth today at lunch and I nearly threw up.

Ua said...

That Timothy! He always makes me laugh!

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Ah Maria, your jealousy is showing through. You know we're almost perfect. God got it right the first time.