An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, November 17, 2014

"Siri-ously" Confused PERIOD



You know how it goes with sisters. The more tired you are and the later it gets, the more things -- anything, really -- seems funny.


This past Saturday I accompanied my sister to Charleston, and after playing in a tennis tournament (her, not me), watching a tennis tournament (me, not her), driving downtown (and getting lost), walking around downtown (and getting lost), eating dinner at 82 Queen, standing outside in the cold for 30 minutes just to get inside Kominsky's for dessert (yes, we were that determined), and driving back to our hotel (and getting lost) ... we were exhausted.


Which meant anything could set us off at any moment.


Case in point: Siri. You know how you can dictate a text to Siri, and she will record your text and send it along? And you know how, in dictating the text, you also need to dictate the punctuation? Well, late at night my sister whips out her iPhone and has me listen to a voicemail that I had left her earlier in the week. Only ... when I left the voicemail I somehow thought I was dictating a text.


Here was my voicemail, preserved on her iPhone so she can laugh and bribe me into posterity:


Hi, Laura PERIOD Can you call me when you get a chance QUESTION MARK I need to run something by you about our trip to Italy PERIOD Love you EXCLAMATION POINT Talk to you soon EXCLAMATION POINT Bia


Of course, there was something hysterically funny about listening to that voicemail, dictated like a text, punctuation marks and all. And the fact that my voice sounded like Minnie Mouse ... well, the more we laughed the funnier it got.


But this morning reality came crashing down. Now that my sister isn't with me I am thinking more clearly, and I'm not laughing anymore. Laura still has that voicemail, and she'll probably keep it forever.


Yikes DOT DOT DOT not good COMMA not good at all PERIOD


Texting a voicemail QUESTION MARK
Been there COMMA done that PERIOD

2 comments:

Sherry Harvey said...

I've done that. Funny story, Maria. Even funnier afterthoughts!

Sherry Harvey said...

I've done that. Funny story, Maria. Even funnier afterthoughts!