An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, January 23, 2015

An Open Letter to Disney



Disney World is the magic of being a child again, and that kind of magic is a gift at any age.


There is magic in that ride on the monorail as it whisks you on a journey to imagination and adventure. There is magic in that first glimpse of Cinderella’s castle, in the whimsical landscaping where a bush is never just a bush, and in the oom-pah music and swirling lights of the nighttime parade. There is magic in a toddler’s eyes when he meets his first Disney character, in the smiles of people coming off Space Mountain, and in silly Mickey Mouse hats and Goofy t-shirts.


There is magic in that tired but good feeling at the end of the day.


And then there is this: I have visited the Magic Kingdom as a little girl, as a college student on spring break, as a young bride and, in recent years, as a mother. With each visit I’ve changed in big ways and in little ways … but you haven’t, and there is magic in that, too.


The lamp post on the corner of Main Street, the one that I leaned against while eating my first Itzakadoozie? It's still there. The Venetian gondola at the beginning of It's a Small World? Still there. The Hall of Presidents? Tom Sawyer Island? Liberty Tavern? Those, too, are still there.


The sameness of it all is truly magical.


We live in a world that changes at a breathless pace, so the fact that you are constant through the years is comforting. I like that you are the same now as when I first visited the park at age twelve. I like it that my sons have experienced exactly what I experienced, and that one day they will share this same experience with their children.


So most of all I thank you for the magic of constancy, for with it we are reminded how we  fundamentally stay the same no matter how much we may change.


And sometime soon I look forward to seeing you again under that lamp post on Main Street … I know you'll be there.











No comments: