An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Writer? Engineer? It all comes down to the fuzzy slippers.



This morning I was going through my emails when I noticed that Amazon had sent me a list of recommended reading. Number one on the list was How to Make a Living as a Writer.


Huh. I cannot even begin to tell you how serendipitous that was.


Just this week Mr. Taxman (aka my husband) was happily doing our taxes (yes, he actually likes filling out tax forms) when he made an interesting discovery. It seems that our eldest son, who had an engineering internship over the summer and another one over the Christmas holidays, actually made more money in 2014 than I did as a writer.


On one hand we were laughing and saying, "Yay, Nicho!" -- especially my husband who expects our sons to contribute financially to their college education; on the other hand (and I'm not going to lie)  I was like ... dang. I love writing, but for all the heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears I pour into it sometimes there's not a lot to show for it.


But hey, at least I get to work in my pajamas ... fuzzy slippers and all.


And that's something engineers never get to do.




No comments: