An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, March 20, 2015

When something is too good to be true ... sometimes it IS true!



A few months ago I visited a new web site which offers custom dresses for women. Basically, after selecting one of five suggested dress silhouettes, you are taken through a step-by-step process in which you can select the neckline, sleeve length, skirt style, and fabric of your dress. The fabric colors they suggest complement your hair, skin and eye coloring, all of which you provide during a preliminary questionnaire (along with bust, height, waist, and hip measurements).


The site is very user-friendly, and their Look Book offers some pretty suggestions. I enjoyed creating a dress but didn't order anything because HOLY MOLY was it expensive! So I exited the site and never went back.


Then today I get an interesting email. A representative from the site contacted me explaining that in their effort to fully launch and promote the site, and because they are trying to get women to try this new process of ordering custom made clothes, they were offering me a FREE dress ... I would only have to pay shipping and handling.


I was excited, then suspicious. Free? As in totally free? No hidden costs or taxes? No exorbitant shipping and handling fees? I even called Joe over and asked his advice. I then decided to contact the company, and they not only verified the offer, but provided an estimate of the shipping and handling cost.


This was the real deal.


So this morning I spent an hour selecting my dress silhouette (tailored with princess seams), the neckline (open neck), the skirt (A-line), and the sleeves (I opted for sleeveless). In selecting the fabric I almost, ALMOST picked black. But I could just hear my Jiminy Cricket sister yelling in my ear, so I compromised and selected a fabric with a tiny black and white swirly pattern (a fine Italian matte stretch, medium weight with easy drape and stretch).


It's a simple dress, with clean lines, and it will be custom made for me in New York City's garment district. And here is the most unbelievable part. On the site, the dress retails for $500 (custom made clothing in NYC = EXPENSIVE), but after I entered my special promotion code my total was only $15. Well, $14.50 to be exact.


Just out of the blue, something like this happens. I must have a fairy godmother lurking somewhere in my backyard.


Now if I could only find my other glass slipper ...


1 comment:

Suburban Correspondent said...

That is awesome! I think I would have picked the same style (I love princess seams!), but with 3/4 length sleeves. Can't wait to see yours!