An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Life Lately: Lenten Sunday Check-in: Me in Mukluks, Joe in Lederhosen





~Friday, a week ago, en route to Virginia Beach~


With the long weekend due to President's Day, we picked up the bambino from school and headed to Virginia Beach to visit Joe's dad and his sister. This was the first time we didn't take the van (no Nicholas, no Jonathan) and the three of us were nice and cozy in Joe's Toyota with our fluffy pillows and flannel blankets.


Well, not Joe. He was driving, but Timothy and I snuggled under our blankets and passed the time reading all those Pedro signs on I-95. Really, you never sausage signs (#tacky).




~Saturday, girl time~

Whenever we go to Virginia Beach, I ditch the guys and head out with Joe's sister, Lisa, for some girl time. This is our tradition: we have a lovely lunch at the Nordstrom Café (where we linger and talk), do some shopping, then walk two stores (and just two!) into the mall to Charming Charlie's, and finally we retrace our steps to head back to our car. On the way out we stop at the Nordstrom Espresso Bar for a cappuccino to go.


We timed it perfectly so that we met the guys at Mass.




~Sunday, celebrating everything~

Valentine's Day. It was cold. And blustery. So other than a quick trip to Ollie's (another tradition) we stayed in. I cooked a Valentine's Day dinner for everyone, and then we had Christmas and said Happy Birthday! Seriously. Lisa passed out Christmas and birthday presents. And see that change purse? My very first Kate Spade.




~Monday, me in mukluks~


In the early morning (very early, like time for milking early) I discovered it was snowing. So I made a hot cup of tea and as soon as there was a smidgen of light I put on my mukluks (actually they're fake Uggs, but mukluks sounds more weather-appropriate) and went for a walk. There I was, in my striped pj's, long overcoat, and mukluks walking around Papa's yard taking photos. I left snowy mukluk footprints everywhere while the entire neighborhood was still sleeping.


Later that morning, we packed the car and started the drive back home in the blustery weather with an inch of ice covering our headlights, front hood, and side mirrors. Our windshield wipers couldn't work fast enough to keep ice from accumulating on our windshield.




~Tuesday, Harry Potter~


Joe left for California, so it was just me and the bambino. For dinner we had Chick-fil-A and continued our Harry Potter marathon ... we're on the fifth movie. Boy did we ever have fun imitating, booing, and making fun of Professor Umbridge. Really, she is the kind of character who is fun to hate. Deliciously evil, that one.




~Wednesday, the most boring present (ever)~


Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. I worked all day. Didn't even change. I picked up Timothy from school wearing my fuzzy slippers and looking like this:




At some point I finally took a shower, but only because I had Bunco. While I was at Bunco winning ... well ... absolutely nothing (#loser), Timothy had dinner with i Nonni and gave Nonno the most boring present ever (purchased at Ollie's): a 12-month fishing calendar in which a fishing lure is not only featured every month, but also on every day of every month. B.O.R.I.N.G.


Strangely, Nonno liked it.




~Thursday, a win~


Again ... deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. I had to skip Bible study. At some point I took a shower, mainly because Joe was coming home and Timothy had a basketball game that night.


And Timothy's team won their game! The bambino scored 11 points, including a 3-pointer at the final buzzer.




~Friday, two days ago, Joe in lederhosen~


I had lunch with a friend, and the weather was so lovely we dined al fresco. After eating I said happy birthday to her, she said happy birthday to me, and we exchanged gifts.


That night we watched The Amazing Race. Joe and I always play along and discuss which one of us would do which road block. The mud bath? I would so make Joe do that one. Sometimes we talk about trying out for the show but I honestly don't know if our marriage would survive. Plus, Joe doesn't dance and I'm a wimp. If Joe had to wear lederhosen and learn the polka, we would be toast; if I had to bungee jump, eat something weird, or go without my hair dryer I would do the ugly cry right there on national television.




~Saturday, yesterday, the great jewelry purge~


What do I do when I have a Saturday to-do list, but don't feel like doing any of it? I organize my jewelry drawer. I procrastinate with bling.


No comments: