Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A Big Deal

On October 6, 2008 our oldest son announced:


"Guess what? Today I officially weigh 100 pounds."

I remember looking at my son. He had spaghetti sauce on his cheek, his hair was sticking up in the back, his arms were like toothpicks, and he was talking with his mouth full. He was still 100% boy, so the fact that his weight had finally reached triple digits took me by surprise.


Little boys grow up.


Darn it.


Today, his baby brother and I were leaving the Kroc Center after a workout when he said:


"Mom, come over here for a sec. I want to show you something."

He stepped on the scale and ... there it was ... 100 pounds.


He smiled hugely. It's a big deal in a boy's world.


But for a mom ... a little bittersweet.


No comments: