Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Musings of an Italian-American Catholic wife, mother, and writer

Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Westing Game (summer reading: book 5, week 7)

So, you probably noticed that our count is off. What happened to weeks 5 and 6?


Allow me enlighten you. Week 5 was a trip to Lake Tahoe and despite the best of intentions -- nothing. Nada. No summer reading. At all. To be sure, I had downloaded TWO books for Timothy on my Kindle because I figured, you know, all that waiting in airports ...


Yeah, right.


But I'm just as guilty. I had download THREE books for me and how many did I read? None. Not one.


Instead, we read guide books and brochures. And maps. Believe it or not, there were some areas of Lake Tahoe which were dead zones with no internet reception, so with no iPhone GPS we had to practice our map reading skills. Since I was driving Timothy was my personal GPS system, and he did a pretty good job considering we arrived everywhere we set out to go.


Just don't call him Siri.


As for week 6, I'm not really sure. Jet lag? Preparations for July 4th? Long weekend with everyone home?


Evidently week 6 cannot be accounted for.


I am NOT perfect.


But here we are week 7, and we are back on track. For book 5 Timothy will be reading The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, a mystery novel highlighting the adventures of Sam Westing's sixteen heirs as they accept his challenge to figure out the secret of his death. (BTW, in 2012 The Westing Game was ranked #9 among all-time children's novels in a survey published by the School Library Journal. It also won the Newberry Award.)


When Timothy's Aunt Laura was 12 years old, this was her all-time favorite book, so it comes highly recommended.


In fact, Timothy is reading the EXACT book that belonged to Aunt Laura. You can tell it was much-read and much loved.


Happy summer reading!







No comments: