An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Pretending to Know What I'm Doing When I Don't

So. We are in the market for a used car. A VERY used car.


After three deals fell through this summer -- note: No more verbal agreements! Get it in writing! -- and with our son leaving for college next week, the car search has been upgraded to THE CAR SEARCH.


In other words, imperative.


So we've been looking, calling, taking notes, and setting up appointments.


The problem is this: since Joe and the boys are working, GUESS WHO has been the official scout, going out to see, take notes, ask questions, and take photos of the cars?


Yes, that would be me. And Timothy, by default.


Monday night Joe and I had found a couple of possibilities at a used car lot on Flowing Wells Road, and I was commissioned to go see the cars, take photos, and possibly take them for a test drive.


Okay. Soooo out of my comfort zone.


But I rose to the challenge. When I arrived to the car lot yesterday morning I was all business. I asked questions about the timing belt, the tires, the brakes, the car's maintenance record, and the mileage. I knew the make, model, and year of the cars I wanted to see. Timothy looked underneath for signs of leaking fluids and I took photos, inside and out.


And then, with Timothy as my copilot I took TWO  of them for a test drive, all the while making a running commentary to Joe who was on the speaker phone.


"Nice body, but the inside is gross. I mean, I'm afraid to touch anything." #HandSanitizer


"This one has issues on the outside, but the inside is nice and clean." "IPreferANiceInside


"It's peppy; accelerates nicely and the brakes work REALLY well." #BrakesAreAGoodThing


"It's such an ugly color." #ColorIsImportant


"I just went over a bump and something rattled in the trunk. Do you think it's a dead body?" #DontLookInTheTrunk


Timothy was having fun, and by the second test drive I was, too. It's empowering pretending to know what you're doing when you don't have a clue; in fact, I was so good at pretending that I even convinced myself.


I left the lot with one very good possibility to put on our list; however, the search continues tonight when Joe has an appointment to go look at a couple of cars. But get this: he wants me to go along so I can compare them with those I've already seen.


He wants advice from me.


CAR advice.


Am I good, or what?





No comments: