An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, May 1, 2017

Rec Room Reveal


Shortly after moving into our house we decided to build a separate, two car garage at the end of our driveway and convert our old garage into a rec room. The old garage door was replaced by french doors; the industrial gray walls were painted a sunny yellow; the concrete floor was carpeted; and benches were added around one wall. We purchased a beautiful farm table, and accessorized with inspiration from all things Italian Countryside (think Tuscan farmhouse).


EVERYTHING happened in our rec room: dinner parties, slumber parties, gaming marathons, scrapbooking, RC racing, Lego tournaments, school projects, and billiard tournaments.


Our rec room used to be the garage.
(before photo)


But after 13 years it was in desperate need of a makeover. Here's what I wanted to do:


  • paint walls, window frames, and doors
  • replace lighting over table and add lighting over pool table
  • create focal wall
  • change the felt color on the pool table
  • add seating for gaming and television
  • replace café curtains
  • replace existing farm table with a trestle farm table 


It was a lot to take on, so after I consulted a friend who gave me some ideas, I created an inspiration board. This really helped me stay on task; however, after I picked the pool table cover I added a robin's egg blue (not pictured) to the color palette.


rec room inspiration board: neutral colors, contrasted with dark woods,
and accents of red and robin's egg blue.

And so I got to work, starting with the walls. Arrivederci yellow, ciao Carrington beige.


Yes, I did all the painting and, yes, I rigged that ladder.
paint: Benjamin Moore's Carrington Beige

Our rec room has 12-foot ceilings, so I got a workout climbing
up and down a ladder for almost a week.


Then we (or rather, my husband) hung two lighting fixtures (purchased at Lowe's) -- one over the farm table and one over the pool table -- and created a focal wall by hanging an antique mantel (which I sanded and stained) and a giant clock from Hobby Lobby.


Two lighting fixtures in a weekend.
My husband is a saint.




Mantel purchased at an antique store; corbels purchased
at Lowe's and stained to match.

I finally found a place for my Piero della Francesca plaques.


After looking at café curtains at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, Pier 1 Imports, Ikea, World Market, and Amazon, I finally found what I was looking for (quite by accident) at The Christmas Tree Shop.


café curtains from The Christmas Tree Shop


I also decided to remove the top half of our hutch to create a bar/serving area for entertaining. But don't worry, I moved the top half upstairs to my work area and repurposed it as a bookcase.


Where did the top half of our hutch go?

Repurposed as a bookcase

Slowly but surely, our rec room came together. Here are some "after" photos ...

Ready for entertaining ... or board games ...
or Lego projects



The bottom half of our hutch can now be used as a bar,
sideboard, or serving area for when we entertain.



antique armoire repurposed as a television cabinet

robin's egg blue for a pop of color



Chairs from Costco
(deeply discounted since they were the floor models);
pool table pad changed to a Cape Cod blue
(arrivederci billiards green!);
artwork (w/ added shutters) to hide the fuse box.

So there you have it. I'm still on the quest for a trestle farm table, some artwork to hang between the windows, and a throw rug to bring out my accent colors, but all in good time.


No comments: