An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

A Most Frivolous Post (about makeup)

A few weeks ago I spent all of five minutes shopping at the mall. If you remember, I was there with Jonathan who (desperately) needed some clothes. Because he absolutely hates shopping, we made this agreement: it was to be a quick trip with no added stops.


Quick for him meant selecting an assortment of tops AND  pair of shoes in under five minutes.


No added stops meant no Sephora for me.


I wrote about that little adventure in a blog post appropriately entitled: Five Minutes at the Mall.


I have since been back to the mall twice, both times with one son or the other, and both times no Sephora. Then, on Mother's Day Jonathan (who may or may not read my blog) (he just smiles when I ask him) gave me a gift certificate to ... SEPHORA!!!!


So last Friday, WITHOUT any member of the male species in accompaniment, I went to Sephora and came back with:


  • Nars The Multiple Stick in Orgasm (sorry, I don't name them): This is an all-in-one, cream-to-powder, multipurpose makeup stick. I have been wanting to try this because I have two trips coming up this month, and the stick doubles as a blush, highlighter, eye shadow, and lipstick which means that's all the makeup I need to pack. Most of my gift certificate went toward this purchase.
  • Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Volume Mascara: This was a freebie. I like the mascara but not the wand. But it's a good travel size, it's waterproof, so I'll use it until it runs out.
  • It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream™: I once received this as a freebie, fell in love with it, but when I went to purchase the full size I didn't feel like paying $50. But now I have another free sample and it will be perfect for traveling.
  • Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Color Paint Shadow (in matte taupe): HOLY MOLY I love this eye shadow! Made in France, this is the description on the Sephora web site: A 24-hour wear cream shadow that delivers easy blendability and ultra-pigmented color. It also states that it is waterproof, smudge-proof, and crease-resistant ... all true, true, true! Which, let me tell you, is a blessing if you live in the south. And like the Nars Multiple, it's very versatile because you can use it alone, as a liner, or as a base for your favorite shadow.


So there you have it. I apologize for the frivolity of this post; really, there are much more pressing matters in the world which no amount of makeup will ever solve, but at least I can venture forth with a little je ne sais quoi.


maybe ;-)


 


No comments: