An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, August 19, 2017

The Promulgation of Hate and Violence

Like many, I'm baffled by all this hatred. So many people are missing the point. If you advocate freedom, religion, and patriotism using hatred and violence, then you are just promulgating hatred and violence. And that's not religion, it's not freedom, and it's not patriotism.

This morning I came across this quote:


“Standing, as I do, in view of God and eternity, I realize that patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone.” -- Edith Cavell (October 11, 1915), on the eve of her execution.


(Edith Cavell was a British nurse, humanitarian and spy. She is celebrated for helping some 200 Allied soldiers escape from German-occupied Belgium during World War I, for which she was arrested and shot by a German firing squad.)


The Thinker, Auguste Rodin
photo credit: Maria Novajosky

No comments: