An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Life Lately (what I can't do and can't say; lunch in a hurricane; working out with words; rocking the ordinary)



1- I can't hum


This past weekend, while we watched The Weather Channel nonstop as we waited for Hurricane Irma, we all played Cranium. If you don't know, Cranium is a multi-activity game in which teams race around the board completing different activities -- some of which include sculpting with clay, acting, solving puzzles, and humming. Yes, humming, in which your team has to guess the title of the song you are trying to hum.


Ummmm ... I can't hum.


That is, I can hum gibberish, but give me something like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and it sounds like something from Aerosmith.


Of course, it doesn't help that I am laughing maniacally.






2- I also can't NOT say anything


Does that even make sense? In Cranium, charades is another activity and everyone knows that when you play charades you are NOT ALLOWED to talk. Geeze Louise. I try to keep my mouth shut, but then I hum or make sound effects. And then I laugh and since my mouth is open -- I can't help it!! -- a word pops out. Not THE word I'm trying to act out, but something helpful.






3- Timothy knows how to set the mood


Last night Timothy ran around gathering candles and matches. Then he placed the candles on our coffee table, arranging them just so. He turned off all the lights.


All this to watch British Top Gear. (If you don't know, that's a car show.)






4- What I'm listening to


Okay. Unlike most normal people who like to listen to music while they work out, I listen to audiobooks. It's what works for me. I cannot tell you how many times I've extended my workout just to hear what happens next. Or sometimes, I purposely stop at a cliffhanger so that the next day I am DYING to work out just so I can hear the rest of the story.


Currently I am listening to Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. I read the book last year, LOVED IT, and as an audiobook I'm loving it all over again. The British accents, the singing, and the acting keep me riveted.


And working out.


(On a side note, there are a couple of sad scenes which had me in tears. So then I'm working out and CRYING and everyone thinks I'm certifiably nuts. Whatever.)






5- Alleluia Rocks


My sister has an Etsy Shop called Alleluia Rocks where she sells hand painted rocks. She's very talented. So many ideas on how to use rocks: Papers blowing in the wind? Use as a paperweight. Planters a little blah? Nestle rocks in the soil. Is someone having a bad day? Send an inspirational rock. Decorating for Christmas? I love the brown Nativity rocks. Recently I ordered the "Give Thanks" rocks which I will use as place settings on my Thanksgiving table.






6- The Italians


This past Monday, the very day in which our area was hit with pounding rain and ferocious winds (the effects of Hurricane Irma), my mother planned a small luncheon. Here were the people invited: Massimilla, Maria, Stella, and Italia (really and truly her name). How's that for a roundtable of Italian names? Anyway, no guys were included. Nonno was going to stay hidden in his workshop; Joe and the boys were going to have sandwiches.


Except ... in the middle of cooking my parents' house lost power. So my mom cancelled the lunch, brought everything over here to finish cooking, and then we all had a nice lunch together. Gals AND Guys.






7- What I'm doing today


Cleaning, cooking, writing, planning, working out.


Life lately ... just ordinary days.



No comments: