An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, October 20, 2017

Going Native

By the title of this post I'm sure your mind shot off in a certain direction, but let me reassure you. I am NOT the next contestant for Naked and Afraid; rather, I'm referring to my decision to switch to natural deodorant.


Allow me to explain.


I have always been health conscious, which for me means healthy cooking and regular exercise. So I prepare wholesome meals with fresh ingredients (nothing canned or processed, no frozen meals, no bagged fruits and vegetables) and I exercise regularly (at least five days a week).


A healthy lifestyle also means regular check-ups to the doctor, dentist, and dermatologist.


But in the past three years during routine mammogram screenings, I was called back twice for a more extensive diagnostic mammogram. Both times everything was fine, but I started thinking about other factors which impede health -- namely toxins by way of the environment.


And the first change I made was with my deodorant.


The skin is the largest organ of the body, and every day I was applying Secret Clinical Strength Deodorant to an area where there are lymph nodes and sweat glands.


I did some research, and not only was my Secret Clinical Strength Deodorant impeding an exit route for my body to get rid of stuff (a 2011 study in the journal Archives of Environmental and Contamination Toxicology stated toxic elements are excreted through sweat) but the deodorant was also putting stuff into my body. Most commercial deodorants contain parabens (which have been linked to breast cancer) and aluminum compounds (which can affect estrogen). I won't go into detail because it's all very scientific, and you can find plenty of information on the topic, but for me it just made common sense.


So I started looking into options for natural deodorants, but I was a little skeptical because I had always read natural deodorants aren't effective. I wanted to make healthy choices, but I also didn't want to be stinky.


As luck would have it, and after doing a ridiculous amount of research by way of reading reviews, I decided on Native Deodorant and have been using it ever since. (At one point this summer I reverted back to my old deodorant when my stick of Native ran out and it felt TERRIBLE, which confirmed I was doing the right thing by using a natural deodorant.)


There is a learning curve to using a natural deodorant, so here is what I have learned:


1- It needs to be applied on clean skin; in other words, you can't reapply over a previous layer of deodorant.
2- I did experience a little rash when I first started using it, but it wasn't itchy and eventually went away.
3- The coconut vanilla scent is wonderful; it is very subtle and fresh.
4- It lasts all day.
5- On very hot days, there may be some perspiration, but this is healthy and there is no smell.


Ultimately, there are so many ways we can make healthy choices. I choose to eat right, I choose to exercise, and now I choose natural deodorant.


Going native has never been so much fun.





No comments: