An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Christmas Tag

Karen over at The Rocking Pony was kind enough to include me in a fun Christmas tag. It's an easy one . . . list a favorite gift you received as a child, one you received as an adult, and one you would like to receive in the future. So, here goes:
  • Hands down, my favorite childhood gift was an acoustic guitar. My Italian Uncle (Zio Luciano) played in a band, so he helped my parents pick one out. I'll never, ever forget that feeling when he carried it into the room and handed it to me. I hadn't even told anyone that I wanted one, but somehow everyone knew. I've played that guitar at campfires when I worked as a camp counselor in college, in a folk choir at our Catholic church, and now I like to pull it out this time of year for singing Christmas carols.

  • As an adult, my favorite gift was, and still is . . . soap. Yup. Soap. About five years ago we let our two oldest boys buy their own Christmas presents for the family, and that year they gave me some beautiful bar soap. The following year it was fancy shampoo. Then, a bath set. It took me a while to figure it out, but now I know that they are boys, buying their Mom a gift, and they are trying to buy something feminine; in other words, they are buying for a girl and for them soap is a very "girly" thing. So, I treasure their soap gifts, and I love it when they give me a hug and then mention that I smell good.

  • Now, for a future gift . . . can I think big? I would like to be able to spend an ENTIRE summer in Italy with my family. Rent a villa, explore towns, absorb the culture. Part of my childhood was spent living in Vicenza (an hour by train from Venice) and I would love for my husband and my boys to experience actually living there. Two years ago we did take the boys to Tuscany for the first time for a couple of weeks, but I want three months. There, how's that for thinking big?!

Thanks again, Karen, for tagging me. In turn, I think I'll tag mg at blue suede shoes, Karen at The More, The Messier, and onthegomom.

5 comments:

Kellan said...

Hi Bia - I love the past gifts and the future dream! I was tagged for this meme as well, I should have done it today, but I didn't.

BTW - I love lasagna and manicotti and canaloni - I just have never liked spagetti. Have a good Sunday. See you soon. Kellan

Karen said...

Bia, I loved reading these! The soap is both funny and touching. I love it. Spending a summer in Italy would be so wonderful; to be with family. Ah, the little villa sounds great.

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

I love that soap was your favorite. You're so right--it's not the most lavish gifts we appreciate the most. It's the ones that have a lot of thought behind them.

onthegomom said...

Thanks for tagging me! I wrote about it tonight. I hadn't read your answers yet, but our favorite adult gifts are almost identical! I love your future gift and best of luck in achieving that, it would be amazing!

Anonymous said...

Dear Maria, I remember your joy when you saw the guitar that zio Luciano helped us buy! I also remember how much you enjoyed learning how to play it and how proud you were when you shared your music and songs with the family. Brava!
As for the wish of spending the summer in Italy YOU KNOW that daddy and I are ready at any moment. We would love also if we could have all of our three children and their families experience the beautiful Italian life together.
Ciao. Sei proprio brava. Mom