We are just a couple of weeks away from announcing our next
trip to Italy, and in the midst of planning itineraries, researching hotels, and
deciding on dates, I realized that I never blogged about our
first trip (2015 Girls’ Trip to Italy). To be sure, every evening during our
travels (usually around midnight) I did write a Facebook post highlighting
events/photos of the day, but I never fully blogged about our adventures.
Until now. So, for these
next three days I will blog about our wonderful trip to Rome and the Amalfi Coast (the sights, the
food, the adventures) in the hopes that memories will surface and excitement
will build for our next trip …
Day 1 ... Off we go!
Departure Day. All the months of planning and anticipation came to this day when 23 women -- 19 from Augusta, 1 from Washington State, 1 from Chicago, and 2 from Maryland -- were off on this grand adventure Because of Caravaggio.
the group leaving from augusta
notice all the carry-ons!
bunco gals
mother & daughter
this group left from Washington D.C. and met up with
us in Baggage Claim in Rome
almost there!
Day 2 ... In which we lose people!
Arrival Day. Rome. I'm not going to lie, when we landed in Rome I had tears in my eyes. We were met by Stefano in Baggage Claim who was holding up a sign with our group name. He escorted us to our bus, and within the hour we were at the beautiful Visconti Palace Hotel in downtown Rome.
Since we couldn't check in right away, we stored our luggage and walked to Piazza del Popolo where we discovered a beautiful leather shop just around the corner from Santa Maria del Popolo. Huh. Imagine that. Shopping within one hour of arriving in Rome.
piazza del popolo
discovering the little leather shop around the corner
I bought that purse and used it for the entire trip
After checking in to our hotel, we gave everyone instructions to meet in the Lobby in one hour. (SOME PEOPLE didn't get the "one hour" part ;-)
As this was arrival day and the organized tour didn't officially start until the next day, my sister and I had planned our afternoon -- Piazza Navona (gelato! gelato! gelato!), the Pantheon, and then a dinner reservation at Taverna Parione.
Pantheon
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
our first dinner in Rome
(one of us is not like the others ;-)
taverna parione
Note: We knew it wouldn't be easy to keep track of 23 women, and sure enough when we got to the Pantheon I realized we had left two behind back at the hotel. I. could. not. believe. it. How could this be? (In my defense, it's hard to count heads when everyone is always moving.) (And talking.) (And running to the restroom.) But before panic set in, Neisha and Sterling showed up! When they arrived in the lobby 30 minutes after we left, they had simply asked the front desk for directions to the Pantheon. I was very proud of them.
which way to the pantheon?
After exploring the architectural wonder that is the Pantheon, we had dinner and then returned to the hotel for a good night's rest because tomorrow ... THE POPE!!!
Quote of the day: "Do you think it would be bad to get some more gelato ... it would be my third time today." -Laura Brinson to me, outside Gelateria 3 Fontane in Piazza Navona in Rome.
there's no such thing as too much gelato
scenes from days 1 and 2
STAY TUNED TOMORROW FOR DAYS 3! Did we see the pope? What is it like to ride in a taxi in Rome? How do you decorate with skulls?


















1 comment:
Thanks for sharing your past trip. It looks like y'all had a blast!
Post a Comment