I first wrote this in 2009 for my nephew, Christopher. Now, nine years later, I've tweaked it here and there for another nephew. Bear, this one is for you ...
My dear nephew, what’s this you say
something is lost and has gone away?
The very idea fills me with dismay
So I will help you find it, no delay!
Yes, your brave and smart Auntie is here
and I will never, ever give up, my dear.
I will search and search both far and near
leave it to me, there is nothing to fear.
Let's see, you lost it somewhere . . .
now let's think about this with care.
Let's stay calm and be very, very aware
for, really, it's definitely somewhere out there.
It could be up a tree or a under a rock,
behind the shed, or around the block.
Somehow it may even be in Bangkok ...
or maybe hidden in your left sock.
But, I will keep looking, I will not be still
I am your Auntie and won’t even send you a bill.
I'll drive to D.C. or fly to Nashville ...
why, I'll even dig in a nasty dunghill.
But wait a minute. What's this I hear
from your father and my brother dear?
"Oh Bia you're running in circles I fear
And there's one little thing I must make very clear.
"The thing that you're looking so diligently for
really isn't a thing anymore.
It was simply some tonsils we couldn't ignore
ones that were more that just a little sore.”
Oh. Well then, dear Nephew. No need to bawl.
What the doctor says is so true.
Those tonsils so teeny and so very small
Why, you don't need those pesky things at all!
So I am glad everything has turned out so swell,
Let’s celebrate ... you’re going to be well.
I'll call off the search and bid you farewell.
Hugs, kisses, and love from your Auntie the dumbbell!
~from the files of very bad poetry by bia

No comments:
Post a Comment