An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, December 28, 2007

Holiday Highlights

McDonalds, ugh: my toddler got a Mcdonalds cash register and play food for Christmas, and ever since he's been going around saying, "Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order?" Everyone has placed at least 10,000 orders since Christmas morning. And he's very bossy. If we order, let's say, Chicken McNuggets, he says no, you can have a sundae and fries. Well, then.

One of my favorite gifts: the Paul Potts cd, One Chance. Paul was working in a car phone warehouse when he auditioned for, and ultimately won, Britain's Got Talent contest by singing opera. You can check out his auditon here. . . it will move you to tears.



Speaking of tears: I was touched when my twelve year old had tears in his eyes and gave me a fierce hug after we finished watching The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. It always moves me when my rough and tumble boys show their sensitive side.

A late surprise: the day after Christmas my sister noticed an envelope tucked in the branches of our tree. Huh? Inside was a gift card for a local restaurant which our good friends placed in the tree when they were visiting the week before. What a lovely surprise, especially considering that it was not discovered earlier.

A family accomplishment: we ate all 500 tortellini. . . there were no leftovers. None.

One of my favorite Christmas moments: watching It's a Wonderful Life with my husband on Christmas Eve when the boys were all in bed and we were playing Santa.

Too tender for words: watching my eldest son humor his Nonna by dancing the fox trot with her.

And I spoke too soon: Late Christmas morning, as we were getting ready to head over to Nonna and Nonno's house, I remarked to my husband that it was nothing short of miraculous that we actually made it to Christmas day without any of the boys getting even a sniffle. That afternoon my toddler throws up. Go figure.

Buon Natale: I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Thanks to all my blogging friends for their holiday well wishes...I'll be visiting soon! God bless.

Buon Natale from our family to yours!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was sooooo very glad that the talk of the day is about Paul Potts. He is a truly great OPERA singer, the world's new Pavarotti! What really thrilled me is the choice that he made to enter the British competition: the very moving aria from the opera Turandot, Nessun Dorma (Let no-one sleep). It so happened that just a few days before Christmas I used this same aria to educate my grandchildren about the "misteries" of opera. Was I successful? Well, they were very interested in the tragedy and drama of the stories of just about every opera, but as the music is concerned...the future will tell.
I fund that it is my "duty" as an Italian nonna (grandmother) to introduce these modern American to the misterious world of opera.-

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

I am hereby grateful that there is NOT a McDonald's drive thru playset in our house. I didn't even know the things existed, and I'll think it would be good if it went back to that immediately! I'm pretty sure my usual order of a Cheeseburger Happy Meal without the meat would be nixed by your toddler.

suburbancorrespondent said...

Sweet boys!

I remember the first time we drove through a tollbooth (when we first moved here). My oldest was 3 and he had the most expectant look on his face as we pulled away, soon to be replaced by a very disappointed look when he realized that no fries came out of that window.

Kellan said...

Oh Bia - I just loved this post!!! I loved all of your memories (the card in the tree, your son dancing the fox trot, your husband and you watching It's A Wonderful Life ...) and I loved this video and I did cry. I've seen it before, but I watched it again and it is amazing, isn't it!!! Thanks for sharing all of your special memories and I am so glad you had such a wonderful Christmas, my friend. See you soon. Kellan

Leanne said...

Your boys are beautiful.

Thanks for posting the Paul Potts video. I had heard of the story but I hadn't seen it.

Have a wonderful New Year!