An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, January 11, 2008

Oh, Boy(s)!

My oldest son turned 13 this past Wednesday, and since he has now officially become a teenager, he's having a few friends over tonight for a party and to just hang out.

A few friends . . . as in TWELVE.

You know that "rule of thumb" when hosting a Pampered Chef or a Southern Living Party, the one that says send out lots of invitations, then plan on half that amount coming? Well, that rule doesn't apply to teens. Twelve invitations issued, twelve accepted.

And the food. While I've cooked for large groups many, many times, the thought of providing food for twelve growing teenage boys has me just a tad worried. We decided to go with sandwich platters from Subway. One platter feeds 15-20. We're getting two, which is supposed to feed 30-40. Do you think that's enough food? I hope it's enough food. (Mental note: buy more potato chips!)

We have activities planned. Since the party is this evening, we have a glow-in-the-dark basketball (how cool is that?!), a giant flashlight for flashlight tag, and a lighted, over-sized frisbee.

We also pulled down the fussball table from the attic.

Oh, and we also have umbrellas because it has been raining. nonstop. all. morning.

Twelve boys + my 13 year old + my 11 year old + my toddler (let's keep things interesting, shall we?) + my husband = too much testosterone, in my humble opinion. Am I nervous?

Who, me?

But the rustling sounds you hear will be me hiding in the bushes, holding my pretty, pink umbrella, wearing my glow-in-the-dark sports watch (so I'll know when to come out), and enjoying a nice glass of red wine. Cheers!

9 comments:

:o) mg said...

It will be a blast, not to worry. Just remind them to mind their manners. Even though you are sorely outnumbered, you still are the queen of the household and deserve all the respect that title comes with.
Wish I could be there with you...peeking out from the bushes with a glass of wine in one hand and infrared binoculars in the other.

Ua said...

You poor, poor thing! You should leave DAD in charge, hole up in a locked room, and read a book!

But HAVE FUN!!!

onthegomom said...

Oh have I been there, done that. I wish you the BEST of LUCK! And sad to say, you WILL NEED that Red Wine (yes, the whole bottle...lol)!

Kellan said...

First of all let me say - THIS IS A CRAZY IDEA and then let me say - you are a great mom for doing it!! I loved that last line! Hope they have fun and hope you survive - Happy Birthday to your precious son. Kellan

Kathryn said...

As a Mom of eight boys I wanted to tell you the sub idea is perfect!! Lots of potato chips and lots of drinks! You will enjoy it, I promise!!

Happy Birthday to your son!

Lisa said...

Oh, this sounds like too much fun! And I really mean it! I'm nuts maybe, but I love it when all the boys are here with all their friends. For one thing, they're HERE ~ where I can keep an eye on things ~ and get to enjoy some of the fun! =gg= We've got to get a glow-in-th-dark basketball! Maybe when the snow melts... Hope your rain lets up!

Leanne said...

Yep. Drinking is good. A toast to you and you're son. After all we gave birth to them...we deserve something! Have fun!

Bia said...

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes!

mg, infrared binoculars . . . I hadn't even thought of that! Good idea!

Kathryn, you know, I really am envious of you having eight boys. Your home must really rock!

Lisa, I totally agree with you. I love, love, love having my sons' friends over. A few years ago we converted our garage into a rec room just for that purpose . . . to have a place for our sons to bring their friends to just hang out.

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

You are amazing!