An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What is a good, Catholic girl to do?

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and I do look forward to these next forty days. While I strive (strive...as in not always successful!) to live the gospel daily, I like the call to sacrifice and renewal that the Lenten Season offers.

But two years ago Lent got off to an unusual start...

I attended an Ash Wednesday service, received my ashes, and when I got into my car I looked in the rearview mirror.

"Ack! Yikes!"

I had a huge CSI thumbprint on my forehead. Not a cross, mind you...a huge THUMBPRINT! I mean, I was a walking, talking advertisement for the television series, complete with their signature fingerprint in which you can see every whorl and ridge.

So, and I am embarrassed to admit this, I wiped the ashes/thumbprint off.

Okay. Sigh.

End of the irreverent story. I'll write something more profound tomorrow...after all, it will be Ash Wednesday.

12 comments:

Soutenus said...

How funny! I am laughing too hard and my students will be in for first period any minute. (I am in Central Time so it is a little after 8:00am here)
Blessings!!

Kathryn said...

Sooo funny, I must admit I would have done the same!

Maria said...

I'm not catholic, but you're not suppose to wipe them off, right? Bad girl! Just kidding. It's pretty funny.

:o) mg said...

*sigh* ... the promise of more tomorrow reminds me that I am giving up the internet for Lent.
You may have to email me with your blog entries since I am not giving up email.
I can see already that this is going to be painful.

Holly said...

I'm not Catholic, so should you have left it there? I'm laughing with you because I can totally see your reaction when you looked in the mirror. It would have been mine!

Teachin' this mommy new tricks! said...

H hah aaa That is tooo funny...thank goodness you noticed it though sooner than later!

Lisa said...

I have a high forehead, so the priest always seems to want to just go hogwild with all the space! Agh! I have "diminished" the amount of ashes in an effort to be less conspicuous...

GrandmaK said...

I went to public school and we always attended 7:00 a.m. Mass on Ash Wednesday morning. As a small child it was an embarrassment, but I found that as I grew older I hoped that it would stay there all day. Why? Because it became a sign of who I am (a child of the 60's thing). Now, I go to 7:00 p.m. Mass because I work and by tomorrow the "cross" will be gone...But to be bathed in ashes is quite another story!!! It sounds like you were designated to do "public penance"! God bless and have a good day!! Cathy

Dori said...

If you're from Verona, does that mean you're Ambrosian Catholic?

I went to Mass last night, but there were no ashes! Then someone explained to me that in Northern Italy, most of the churches follow the Ambrosian Rite, and Lent starts on Sunday. Confusing!!

Lisa said...

Hey, Bia! Something waiting for you over at my place... &:o)

A friend said...

Hi Bia,
I'm waiting for your next entry to see how this Ash Wednesday went! I went to Mass last night (Ash Wednesday) and didn't realize that it was a Spanish Mass. I recognized a few words but took comfort in knowing that it is the same Mass and same Lord in any language. God bless you and have a happy, prayerful, holy Lent!

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

You just saved somebody else from doing it for you. I've been known to wipe "an ink smudge" or two in my time.

(Oops!)