An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, August 1, 2008

A Song in the Dark

Today was the first full day of Sister's visit and we had a lovely time. We spent the morning at the library (checked out some books on Tanzania and on Jane Goodall's work with chimpanzees at the Gombe National Park in Tanzania), and then this afternoon I did something I never in my wildest imaginings thought I would ever do: I went bra shopping with a nun.

Well, she needed a new one. And just in case you're wondering (and I know you are) we bypassed Victoria's Secret and headed for the more sensible stuff found in department stores.

And we also got her a winter coat. She is headed for Kansas City, MO for a year and did not have any winter gear.

The high point (for me) was coming home from the movies after taking her to see Narnia's Prince Caspian, and in the darkness of the car she started singing in Swahili. We had been discussing the religious symbolism in the movie and how a lion is so often used to represent a king, when all of a sudden she started singing a song from her childhood about the roar of a lion being the voice of God. It was haunting. It was beautiful.

BTW, remember Simba from The Lion King? And Rafiki?
Well, simba is the Swahili word for lion; rafiki is the Swahili word for friend.

And that is what Sister is...our rafiki.

7 comments:

Soutenus said...

How Cool!
And what a wonderful day!

You know how Lisa puts clips of her kids singing on AWTY?
YOU should do that if Sister isn't shy.
Maybe add an Our Father and Hail Mary in Swahili.

Holly said...

What a beautiful day!

My boys and I just saw Prince Caspian today too. It was wonderful.

Lisa said...

Oh, Bia ~ thank-you for this beautiful, down-to-earth vignette of your Sister friendship. I can't help but smile in recognition of the same deep, ethereal, but concrete influence of our Sister friends. Everything is down-to-earth, but everything relates back to God. Bless Sr.Gaudiosa! Wonderful post!

Lisa said...

Oh! I second Peggy! How wonderful it would be, if Sister didn't mind, to hear her sing in Swahili!!

Cheryl Lage said...

Feel like I got to enjoy (and be moved by) your day right alongside you! Lovely, lovely post.
(Glad you dodged the Victoria's Secret, too! ;P) )

Shellie said...

She sounds like a cool rafiki. What interesting friends and house guests, I never got to take a nun bra shopping in my life.

Kelley said...

Good words.