An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Italian 101

As a mother of all boys, there are certain things I have perfected when I mean business.

One, is the look. My mother is Italian, so I have generations of Italian women in my blood who know how to do the look. Even my husband recognizes the look. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the evil eye . . . but there you go, it does have power.

Two, is the art of peppering my speech with two key Italian phrases when I am in no mood to be messed with:

~Basta! = Enough. Stop.

(As in, the boys are arguing, but when I yell BASTA! there is complete and total silence . . . instantly.)

~Punto e basta! = End of discussion, period.

(As in, the boys keep begging for a Wii; every day they complain until we finally say: No, you do not need a Wii, punto e basta. Go play outside. This signals the end of the discussion. Nothing further needs to be said.)

Now shhhh!, I'll let you in on a little secret: these are my secret weapons; I hoard them and whip them out only when absolutely necessary . . . like today.

It's been one of those days.

Remember when . . .

9 comments:

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

They did - past tense!!
Very funny post! Even though our mom has absolutely no Italian in her....she's got "the eye", and it seems Karrie has inherited it!
Love "hearing" you talk your Italian phrases - my husband's father was Italian and when we go out east to visit - well.....you sounded just like them!!
Have a good week!
Karla & Karrie

Darla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darla said...

I know Finnish quite well and German a bit. There is not a word or phrase in Finnish, German or English that will ellicit total silence in my girls. There is always an attempt at an edgewise word. I NEED to learn Italian!

Kathryn said...

We Southern Moms have a look too, and it means business! The look can stop them dead in their tracks faster than any words. I love your words though and may have to bring them into my bag of tricks for bringing order to a bunch of little men!

Oh my goodness, that picture is precious!

Lisa said...

"Basta!" I've gotta use that! We'll have Italian 101... I don't have just one word that stops 'em mid argument, either. We do have a "look" though!

Laura said...

I am going to ask an Italian person if I am pronouncing those words correctly because I am dying to use them.
COOL MAN.

Kellan said...

Great tricks - I need some tricks like those - tee hee!

Darling photo!

Take care - Kellan

Aimee said...

This is my granny's Italian to make us all shut up -

"Mangia!"

If you're eating, you shouldn't be talking, right? She had eight kids in ten years, so I guess she needed a little peace and quiet now and then.

Which is probably why we heard her muttering "Madonna Mia!" under her breath so often :)

SuzyQ said...

Yes "the eye" it works doesn't it
:0)
And Italian just seems to have a certain quality that makes you just sit up and pay attention.
By the way there is an award waiting for you over at my place
:0)