An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Jesse

A few weeks ago I attended a funeral Mass held at our lovely church, St. Mary-on-the-Hill. Four priests were in attendance, one of whom had driven several hours to be there. There were four altar servers, and music filled the church.

We gathered to honor someone
who wasn't famous,
who didn't accomplish anything great or mighty,
who never gave a famous speech,
but who, nonetheless, left a mark in this world.

You see, Baby Jesse never walked on this earth; he died in his mother's womb during the fifth month of pregnancy.

With trembling voices we sang the hymn, "On Eagle's Wings", and although it was heartwrenching to see that teeny, tiny casket in front of the altar, we also felt God's loving presence as all of us - priests, mothers, fathers, teachers, Catholics, non-Catholics - came together to celebrate a life . . . not a life that had been lived in full, but one just as important that had barely begun.


(Thanks, mg, for sharing.)

11 comments:

Laura said...

Yea.
I wish everyone could get this message.

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

There was a beautiful article in the health section of today's Wash Post that talked about these professional photographers who volunteer to take photos of stillborn babies and babies who die shortly after birth. It makes you cry to read it.

Kathryn said...

This is beautiful~

Darla said...

Beautiful!

GrandmaK said...

I think the key is "celebrate." Hard to do under the circumstances of this loss, but celebrate non-the-less as, we as a Christian community, gather in support and love of all who live and die in the love of Christ. This is a beautiful tribute to Jesse and all who go before us, to prepare the way! Thank you!! Cathy

Lisa said...

This is a beautiful and perfect admonition to those who would vote for the Democratic candidate this election. Two of our babies were born at the age where many babies lives are "terminated." It is heartbreaking that our country could sink to the depths it has to allow the horror of abortion. Bless little Jessie's parents in their loss, but God help our country in its loss of integrity.

Kim H. said...

Bia,

Beautiful post. I was so touched. Oftentimes people don't celebrate the life of a baby - I'm not sure why. I don't know if it's the fear of celebrating a life cut short or that it might seem too traumatic for those involved. But I truly believe it so beneficial for the family to have that time to help them through their loss.

Your post also made me think of my dear friend Liz who delievered baby Sarah stillborn last April. Sarah was one week from her due date and just perfect in every way.

A kind nurse took several photographs of Sarah for the family to have. The nurse had the photos printed off and brought them back to the hospital to Liz and her husband before Liz was discharged. I was so touched by that kind nurse's action. I know Liz and John are forever grateful to that kind woman and all those that surrounded them that day - and after.

Every life, even the shortest one, is precious!

Kellan said...

This was so beautiful, Bia. I hope you don't mind if a Stumble this post - it is wonderful and I am going to remember Baby Jesse for a long time to come. Thank you - Kellan

E said...

This was beautiful Bia. Thank you. I will say a prayer for Jesse's family.

I don't feel admonished though Lisa. I will proudly vote to end the killing in the Middle East when I cast my Democratic vote.
It is always complicated....

Lisa said...

It is complicated, e, and I certainly would never use my friend, Bia's, beautiful blog to take issue with you. I did not intend to admonish, but agree with her. If you would like me to explain to you why I believe the issue of abortion is more important than stopping the war in the Middle East, please stop by my blog and e-mail me. I'm the mom of a marine, so I can give you a viewpoint you may not have heard.

Nikki said...

I really enjoyed this post. I recently lost a little girl. She was due on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe and I am convinced she was called to heaven to pray for all those aborted children and for our country. My pain was, and still is, offered up for all those who have no one to mourn for them the way I do my darling Mary.