An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, December 1, 2008

Alone at Twilight

This past Saturday I did something I had never done before: I went to the movies all by myself.

Over Thanksgiving my sister had given me all four of her Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer, and I finally caved in and read them to see what all the fuss was about. Then Saturday night, since the little one was in bed and the boys (big and little) settled down to watch some football, I thought it would be fun to see the movie since I had just finished reading the book.

It was too late to call anyone, but heck, I decided to go alone.

So, there I was, at the movie theater.

Alone.

On a Saturday night.

A date night.

To see Twilight which was, really, a teen movie.

There was one middle-aged couple...and me. Everyone else was younger and on a date.

But as I looked at all those young kids I had a revelation: I like who I am right now at this point in my life, and although I was a little nostalgic for that young freedom, I wouldn't want to go back to those years.

I like being 41.

I like being a wife and mother.

I especially like the fact that I didn't feel embarassed about sitting in the movie theater all alone.

And, I enjoyed the movie. I really did.

The only thing that showed my age was that once the lights were lowered, instead of a $50 snack of popcorn and a soda, I slipped a granola bar out of my purse.

Hey, I have three sons that need to go to college.

9 comments:

Laura said...

I have Twilight...I'm going to get to it one of these days. I kind of have to.
I have never sat through an entire movie alone...but one day I will.
I AM VERY guilty of sneaking food in.
At the last movie we went to, I ate an entire turkey sandwich in my seat.
I think Matt wanted to crawl UNDER his when I did so.

Lisa said...

LOL! I love this post, Bia. And totally comprehend. Right down to the granola bar. Life is good at this age. No peer pressure, no excuses to make. (And I don't miss that $6 bucket of popcorn one little bit. I usually bring rice cakes.)

Nikki said...

Too funny! We have had free movie tickets hanging on our fridge for months. Dh and I can never agree on movies. I may follow suit and head out for a night alone.

Aimee said...

Bia! I am so glad you wrote this :)

I read the Twilight series, but secretly because my hubby razzed me about it.

But it was all in good fun, because when it came time for our date night, he sat through the movie with me. In a theater full of 16 year old gigglers.

He's a good man :)

And I'll admit it, I don't mind going to the movies alone. It's an escape for me.

But I always bring my own food!

Cathy Adamkiewicz said...

I LOVE being a grown-up!!! My kids laugh at me all the time because I do "inappropriate" things and have such fun!
I don't think I've ever gone to a movie alone. Something to add to my to-do list.
And I might even bring a sandwich or a granola bar, too! (Fiber one -- I'm such an old person!)

Kim H. said...

I loved your post! I agree with Cathy - I love being older and being okay in my own skin - even when I bust out my dance moves and my kids say I'm a geek. It doesn't hurt my feelings. I like that about being a grown-up! :)

I actually went to a movie alone for the first time when Juno was out (which I recommend if you haven't seen it - although some of the terminology is a little crass.) Anyway, Maddy and a friend went to see some dance movie - and it was a late movie and I wouldn't leave them at the theatre alone, so I paid for a ticket and planned to see Juno all by my lonesome. I was so proud of myself. It was kind of fun.

But I laughed about your granola bar - because the day after Thanksgiving Leo and I took 11 kids to see Madagascar 2. We stopped at the gas station and filled up an ENTIRE school backpack full of snackage. Could you imagine the damage 11 kids could do at the theatre? Oiy vey!

Good for you - and glad you liked the movie. Does this mean I can let my 14 year old read the books? I've gotten so many mixed reviews.

Kathryn said...

I like going to the movies alone, I let my teens go see a movie they want and I go to the movie I want (sometimes we go together). Once, not only did I go alone, but I had the theater all to myself..such a treat!
I've not read Twilight, but am glad to know you enjoyed the movie and maybe sometime I'll give them a try!

E said...

Perfect. And all of us out here in blog land like who you are too and I am grateful that you share your stories with us...

Nancy said...

Oh how fun!! I used to go to the movies by myself all the time when I lived in New Jersey and had a schmuck of a boy friend. Loved it :D