An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Well, that got my attention ...

Outside the rain is falling and it's still dark . . . a perfect morning in which to sleep late.

But our little one has other plans when at 6:30 he trudges into our room and climbs into our bed. He rolls around. He climbs back and forth over my husband and me. He jumps up and down. We totally ignore him, we are that tired.

Then (are you ready for this?) he leans close to my face, pats my cheeks with both hands, and says very sweetly and matter of factly: You blithering idiot.

My eyes pop open. Did he just . . . ? Where did . . . ? Who taught . . . ? How? When?

Slowly a memory surfaces of Captain Hook calling Mr. Smee a "blithering idiot" in Disney's Peter Pan.

Oh. Well, then. I feel so much better. And even though I had in fact been blithering, I am no idiot. It's raining, it's dark, it's early . . . I roll over and go back to sleep.

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

Yep, that would have woke me up...for a second, and then I'd have sent him off to watch Mr. Smee while I continued to go to never never land in my dreams!

Nancy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG, that's hilarious! At least you had the frame of mind to remember where he learned it ;)

Laura said...

I would have to laugh and roll over too.

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

I bet he said it very sweetly, though.

Kim H. said...

I LOVE IT!!!!

E said...

But with his little hands on your cheeks...
Loved this.
Happy new year Bia to you and your brood. Thanks for all the sweet moments and thoughtful pauses this year. Looking forward as always to more

Lisa said...

Ahaha! I love it! It's amazing the things they absorb, isn't it? Happy wrapping paper and leftover candy ~ and happiest of New Years, too!

jacker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.