An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Friday, July 16, 2010

In Which I Lose My Temper in Rome

Oh, look! I cried. It's the Pantheon! There it is!

The words were no sooner out of my mouth when . . .

Oh, look! cried my husband. It's a McDonald's! There it is!

Oh. my. goodness. Hell hath no fury like a Mom who gets stonewalled when trying to educate her family.

For goodness sakes, you guys! I whispered furiously. We're in Rome. The Eternal City. Surely you're not excited about McDonalds?

But they didn't hear me; in fact, they weren't even listening to me. I was an annoying, pesky fly and it was lunchtime and they were hungry.

As I watched the four of them stroll over toward the Golden Arches, I sat on the edge of the fountain in Piazza della Rotunda with my tour book and my map and my notes in my lap. I was most annoyed.

They returned holding bulging lunch bags and looking a little sheepish, and while they ate I strolled around the piazza taking pictures.

When I took this photo, I sighed. They looked so happy. They looked . . . well, like boys.

Okay. They may not be able to tell you that the oculus in the Pantheon's dome measures 29 feet in diameter, or that Italy's first two kings (Vittore Emanuele II and Umberto I) are buried there . . . but they can tell you where to find a McDonald's in Rome. I guess they learned something.

3 comments:

Tiziana said...

EH! EH! Comunque qualsiasi monumento si guarda e si apprezza meglio con il pancino pieno, vero Tymothy? Viva le patatine fritte!!!

GrandmaK said...

It just goes to show you how we focus our lives around food...When we got off the train in Victoria Station the last thing I expected to see was a Burger King and Kentucky Fried Chicken. Sorta bursts the bubble, doesn't it? Have a grand day! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El) said...

I'm driven by hunger too often too. I would have followed your men.

In 1992, my father sent me to London for a week to thank me for some help I'd given him.

I was alone and wanted to be frugal, and I ate a lot of KFC while there. Though I saw many sites, I didn't go to many authentic restaurants (I was concerned I'd order something I wouldn't like) or one single pub(I didn't go to bars alone here, why would I there?)

McDonald's was available, but it tasted too different. KFC was a blessing.

I guess I was an ugly-American. Of course when you think delicious food, it's not English food one craves, but Italian!