An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, January 17, 2011

In-Between

A few weeks ago my husband and I attended a dinner party held in a private dining room at a local restaurant. The party involved a lot of people, and when it came time for the meal there were place cards indicating where everyone should sit.

When we were seated, Joe and I noticed that we had been placed at a table with those who were about the age of my parents. There were others at the dinner - the same age as us - who were seated together at another table, but for some reason we were seated apart from them.

Now, before I go any further, let me clarify that we had a lovely evening. We enjoyed our dinner companions immensely, but later, on the drive home, we both confessed nagging doubts about the situation.

Are we seen as old?
Too boring?
Not hip, or cool, or funny?


It's true we are in the situation of straddling two camps. On the one hand we have two teenage sons that may make us seem older, but on the other hand we also have a six-year-old who keeps us on our toes.

Maybe we are just hard to categorize ... not young parents, but not old, either.

Then, this past weekend we attended our nephew's baptism. Again there were place cards, and when Joe and I found our places we realized we had been placed at the table with both sets of grandparents.

Now we are really paranoid.

6 comments:

Lisa Novajosky Smith said...

When the place card has you sitting next to me, then you are OLD. Until then, I would suspect that you were the only two people who the elders would enjoy sitting and talking with among all of the attendees. You should feel honored that YOU TWO were selected of all the guests, to be able to bridge all ages and times and engage (not just nod) in conversation with young and not-so-young.

MLCH said...

I try to place one spicy couple with a bunch of, well, not so spicy people. So, it's probably a complement that you two are jazzing up the more mature ones. How's that?

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Seriously, you should lose sleep over this.

I never felt young or old when Mac was your kids' ages (that's awkward, I know), but when I turned 50 in October, he wrote in my card, "You're still younger than all my friends' parents." Tee hee.

Anonymous said...

You should be THRILLED, DELIGHTED, EXCITED AND HONORED to have been chosen to share the table with those who can teach you much WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE!

MOM and DAD

Lisa said...

This has happened to us. Most notably, we found ourselves at a big, wonderful Jewish wedding with many couples our age, but were seated with some uncles and aunts of the groom and the youth minister of someone's church. Later when I asked the bride about this she told me that they were faced with those two last empty seats and no other obvious "older" couples to place in them. So, after looking through the guest list, they decided that we were the only pair they felt confidant to handle two elderly Jewish couples and one single, female Catholic youth minister. gglggl... You know what? We had a ball with them. I think there was more laughing at our table than any other -- and when I learned the story later, I was honored and flattered.

I bet a hundred bucks that's why you were seated with the mature groups. You're tactful and kind so everyone would be comfortable, but vital and interesting enough to keep the oldsters awake... ;)

Ua said...

Face it, Bia. You're OLD. As your sister, I'm allowed to say that. Your YOUNGER sister. ;-)