An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

When Shopping is a Chore

Me: Nicholas, you and I need to go shopping for some school clothes.

Nicholas: Everything from last year still fits me ... I don't need anything.

Me: Sweetie (I use this endearment to remind me that I love my son ... I really, really do; it's also a way of channelling some of that southern charm). You can't have a wardrobe that is an exact repeat from last year. Besides, you've grown taller and you could use some longer pants and shorts.

Nicholas: I guess.

His response is accompanied by a huge sigh ... a sigh that carries with it the weight of the world. A sigh that is meant to convey to me that he is so put upon.

Huh. Life is tough.

Next up is Jonathan.

Me: Jonathan, in a couple of days we need to go shopping for some school clothes.

Jonathan: What??!! Why??

Me: Listen (no sweetie this time; to heck with that southern charm). Last year you were still wearing a school uniform; you're about to start high school ... there is no uniform ... you need some clothes.

Jonathan: But I already have golf shirts.

Me: You have two ... don't you think you need more than two shirts?

Jonathan: I guess.

And his sigh is a duplicate of his brother's.

I have a headache already, and I haven't even left the house.

3 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

No uniforms? Catholic school with no uniforms? I teach in a public school and I'd wear a uniform if I could. I want the kids to.

Other than that, I've got nothing. Mac never minded shopping.

You've got totallyminders x3.

tiziana said...

Ah!Ah! Hai reso perfettamente l'idea. Che le ragazze siano diverse?
Io credo proprio di sì.
Auguri per il tuo mal di testa.
Un bacione.

Lisa said...

Our boys (esp in that 10-15 year stretch or so) have been perfectly content to wear the same old holey pair of jeans and one or two disreputable tee shirts for the rest of their lives and couldn't possibly find time in their busy lives to go shpping. But, the girls, now, Bia... They are TOTALLY a different story~! I have to fight them off sometimes to keep from going shopping! A happy medium would be wonderful!