An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Un-Vacation

We returned from the beach this past Friday and I am just now finding the energy to write. If you read my previous post you know that our vacation did not get off to a good start (children throwing up will kind of do that).

Well, it did not get better. Despite my Pollyanna-ish optimism, my friend Suburbancorrespondent was right (did she hex us??!!) . . . that nasty bug followed us on vacation and made himself right at home in our nice condo right on the beach. And he took his sweet time visiting everyone so that every day someone was sick. Except me and my husband. Miraculously we stayed healthy so we could nurse everyone else. I don't know what's worse: to be so sick you don't want to go anywhere, or to be healthy and can't go anywhere. It's a mind boggling question . . . I'll deal with it later. So, to succinctly describe our vacation (vomiting gets very, very boring, after all) I'm using Lisa's meme First Things First and applying it to all my mornings last week.

The first thing I drank: cappuccino (what else?!)

The first thing I said: "I wonder who will throw up today?"

The first action I did: felt everyone's forehead to check for fever

The first thing I read: instructions from the ER doctor on Gastroenteritis (yes, our vacation included a visit to the ER)

The first item of clothing: a biohazard suit . . . JUST KIDDING! a bathing suit ("I don't care who throws up . . . I'm going to the beach!")

The first person I spoke to: God ("please, please let this madness stop")

The first chore I did: cloroxed sinks, doorknobs, toilet, and all common areas in the condo

The second chore I did: made a grocery list: saltines, broth, jello

The first thing I did once I returned home: googled vacation rentals; if at first you don't succeed . . .

12 comments:

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

I'm sorry! It was just the voice of experience speaking, of course...

I'm trying to decide if it is worse to have a stomach bug on a beach vacation (because you are paying all that money to be there) or better (because at least you are at the beach). I don't know. And I hope that I never find out.

Wendy said...

Boy, that was some memorable vacation! Sorry it had to be memorable in that way! Hopefully, tempers didn't flare as well. One Christmas, my family had a rotating bug through the whole visit and tempers did flare! I will never forget that Christmas (though I might try a million times).

:o) mg said...

There's no place like home.

Lisa said...

Oh, Bia, my heart goes out to you! The next try will be so much better with this one to compare it with. How could it be worse?? But, you're all better now, right?? (We've got it here now in Colorado, unfortunately ~ Wish I had a beach to go lie on in between rounds with sickies... Lawn chair in the backyard will have to do. &:o)

Karen said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry. But at least your next vacation is bound to be better.

GrandmaK said...

I know how you feel, only all five got sick at Grandmother K's over Christmas...It was awful, but the MEME was a terrific way to tell your story!!! Cathy

Laura said...

I love the fact that you looked for beach rentals upon your return...way to keep the faith!

Soutenus said...

Oh dear! Welcome home and may the next vacation be perfect!!

SuzyQ said...

I'm so sorry you've all been sick. On vacation too, that's so rubbish
:(
Your post made me giggle though I have to admit. It reminded me of my posting of this meme.
This sickness bug seems to have made it back and forth over the atlantic this week. Everyone seems to have had it!
Hope you'll all be fit and well soon.

Kathryn said...

Bia, here is to hoping the next beach trip is full of fun in the sun and all the nasty bugs can just vacation somewhere else!!!

E said...

Okay but if everyone had to be sick at least they had a nice view to be sick with....
I love that you are simply figuring out another one. What a lesson!

LaDonnaMobile said...

Ugh--you poor thing! I have had illness strike on trips before and I just whine and say, "I get this all winter long--does it have to come in the summer, too?"

Glad you survivied! :)