An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

An Italian-American living la dolce vita in the Deep South

Monday, September 24, 2012

What's Cooking?

Since the start of school I have been very, very diligent about planning our menus. Although everyone organizes and plans differently, this is what works for me ...

I usually plan our meals on Saturday for the coming week. Saturday afternoons are perfect because chores are done, and while the boys (big and small) are watching college football I sit at the kitchen table (with a cappuccino) and surround myself with cookbooks, magazines, my laptop, and the family calendar. The calendar is important because if, for example, there is an afternoon practice then I know to keep dinner simple (and quick) that night.

When planning I use two sheets of paper: one is for listing menu ideas for every day of the week, and the other is my grocery list which I make out as I go. I like to do my grocery shopping at some point over the weekend, if not I do it first thing Monday morning.

Although I assign a meal to a specific night, when things come up (and believe me, they do!) it is no problem switching meals since I already have everything on hand.

That being said, here's this week's menu list:

Monday
Chili
Garden Salad (inspired by the Olive Garden)
Macedonia (fruit salad)

Tuesday
Chicken Caesar Panini
Cauliflower soup

Wednesday (breakfast for dinner)
French toast with cinnamon apple compote (Cooking Light Magazine)

Thursday
Chinese Chicken and Rice (Eat Clean Diet Cookbook, p. 162)
Wonton Dessert Snacks (substitute lemon yogurt w. lemon sorbet)

Friday
homemade pizza
carrots w. Ranch dressing 
Root Beer Floats

Saturday
lunch: turkey-hummus pitas (Cooking Light Magazine)
dinner: OKTOBERFEST!!

Sunday (w. Nonna and Nonno ... our turn)
Chicken Cacciatore
garlic mashed potatoes
roasted "carrot fries"
apple crostata (inspiration from Mrs. Paproth and Ina Garten)
espresso


Nonno and Timothy
Enjoying fresh picked cherries
Tuscany, Italy
June 2006
 

2 comments:

tiziana said...

Che bontà!!! Hai ragione facendo così si risparmia tempo e ci organizza meglio.
Che bella la foto e che piccolino era Timothy.

Ua said...

Sigh. Will you please be my meal planner?????????????