Friday, August 23, 2019

La Bella Figura, ch. 6

"I once watched Nonna eat a tomato. We had just gone shopping, and as we were unpacking the groceries Nonna reached into a brown paper bag and pulled out a juicy red tomato that the farmer promised had been picked from the vine just that morning. Then, holding it like an apple, Nonna bit into the tomato. She closed her eyes in bliss as she chewed, and when I giggled she opened one eye, looked at me, and took another huge bite. She was passionately living in the moment which, I later realized, is the key to la bella figura. If you have a passion for something then you give it your very best, which consequently means you are living completely, wholly in the moment. There are no half measures."

An Ocean, an Airplane, and Two Countries Full of Kisses (La Bella Figura, ch. 6)


An Ocean, an Airplane, and Two Countries Full of Kisses
available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble

No comments: