Wednesday, January 13, 2021

In Which My Son Quotes Poetry

"How was Book Club?" my son asked, as I carried in chairs and blankets from the around the fire pit where we had discussed Jodi Picoult's latest book, The Book of Two Ways.

"It was great," I replied. "We discussed choices, and how some choices are black and white--that is, it is very clear what you should do--while other choices are not clear but you have to decide anyway. The book was about those kind of choices and what happens after you made the decision when, years later, you wonder what would have happened if you had chosen differently."

It was a simple answer for a very intricate and complex book. But it got Timothy thinking.

"That reminds me of the poem by Robert Frost," he said. "You know, the one called 'The Road Not Taken.'"

After our poetry discussion earlier this week in which he declared all poets dumb (his words) for not saying what they mean to say, I was pretty impressed. 

"Look at you," I said. 

And he grinned. 


No comments: