This morning I grabbed my CASA photo id and showed up bright and early at Columbia County Courtroom #1 to witness love in action at an adoption proceeding.
Finally, my CASA child was getting her forever family.
After 62 months in the foster care system, after being placed with three different families in the past year alone, after being enrolled in three different schools in that same period, after losing the chance for adoption two years ago when her foster father suddenly passed away, after all this time today, on Valentine's Day, this precious 9-year old now has a mom, a dad, and a baby sister.
When the parents raised their right hands in a solemn oath to care for and love this little girl who will now be considered their biological child, there was not a dry eye in the place.
Later, after hugs and gifts, I thought about all the love that brought about this moment. It is so easy to focus on all the brokenness, on an overburdened foster care system and overworked caseworkers, but there is so much courage and heroism and love. It is there, believe me. I am humbled at how hard everyone worked so that today a little girl is no longer alone in the world.
It was a perfect love story for Valentine's Day.
Dear ----,
When I
was a little girl, one of my favorite possessions was a Memory Box. When I
first received my box it was empty, like this one I’m giving you, but over time
I filled it with things that held a special meaning for me: a small silver bracelet,
some flower petals, postcards from our family vacations, a letter from my
grandmother, ticket stubs from Broadway, photos of my family.
I still
have my Memory Box, and now I want you to have one, too.
Today is
a special day because you and your forever family have found one another. You now
have a new Mom, a new Dad, a new sister. They have you. And I hope you will use this Memory Box to collect and store all the beautiful new memories you will
be creating as a family.
Love,
Maria
Novajosky, CASA
February
14, 2022
No comments:
Post a Comment