Monday, November 14, 2022

The Birthday Presents from Christmas Past

Sometimes you do something dumb because you are having a dumb moment, and sometimes you do something dumb because you don't know any better.

And sometimes … yeah.

So, in early October Jonathan sent me a small wish list for his birthday and Organized Me got right on it. I went online, placed an order, and when the items arrived, I wrapped them. I gave myself a high five because I was two weeks ahead of schedule. Go me!

When Jonathan came home, I placed the wrapped gifts in front of him. He opened gift #1.

“Thank you. I can always use another game controller,” he said.

But he had a funny look on his face. He opened gift #2, a book. Again the funny look.

“Um, I got this last Christmas,” he said.

When he reached for the third present, I had a bad feeling. Sure enough, he had already received present #3 last Christmas.

“MOM!” everyone protested.

“But YOU sent the list!” I protested.

It took some investigating.  Jonathan did send a list, and I saved it a file. However, when it came time to order the gifts I had opened an old file. One from LAST CHRISTMAS.

The result? Jonathan’s birthday gifts were repeats.

Now, I am sure you are wondering why I didn’t realize this. In my defense, I did think it through. For example, I knew Jonathan received a controller before, but I thought he needed another one; I did recognize the book, but I thought it was Part II. Or something.

Sigh.

Sometimes you do something dumb because you are an idiot.

Anyway, I leave you with this photo only because Jonathan's expression then was Jonathan's expression the other night while opening his birthday presents (which were really his Christmas presents, on repeat). 

No comments: