Sunday, October 22, 2023

Let me tell you what I want, what I really really want

Today is my dad's 81st birthday, and in honor of the occasion I am sharing the following conversation from a few years ago. Try to follow along and not get dizzy.

Me: Dad, what do you want for your birthday?

Nonno: I don't know. I really don't need anything.

Nonna: I know what he wants. He wants a wind chime.

Nonno: I want a wind chime?

Nonna: Yes, don't you remember when we went to our friends' house and they had a wind chime? It sounded so beautiful.

Nonno turns and looks at me.

Nonno: I guess I want a wind chime.

I look at him. I look at my Mom. And I keep my mouth shut. Later that evening I get a phone call.

Nonno: I've been thinking. I really would like a wind chime.

So Nonno received a wind chime. For his birthday. For Nonna. Or something. 


This reminded me of the time we were in Naples, Italy when one of the boys asked where Vesuvius was and, like an Abbot and Costello routine, my parents point in OPPOSITE directions. It was so funny that our boys got in on it too, pointing here, there, and everywhere.



No comments: