The No-Birthday
Month
Every February I write an introspective post to commemorate my
birthday. But this month my birthday came and went without a blip. I was
recovering from Vascular surgery (left leg), and not only was Joe out of town
but even MY PARENTS were out of town. So, I spent a quiet birthday, holed up
inside the house during what was a blustery week. My birthday meal included Chicken
Salad Chick and a box of Milk Duds for dessert (do not judge). But it was a good birthday with some alone time to
think, read, and watch the last season of Peaky Blinders.
Yikes, though. Those Peaky Blinders.
Babysitting
I also spent my birthday babysitting the work crew replacing
our backyard fence (which was destroyed due to the hurricane). What was supposed
to take 2-3 days instead took TWO WEEKS. The crew would come, work two hours, then
leave for lunch and not come back until the next day. One day Joe had the idea of
providing them with lunch, thus encouraging them to stay and (maybe) work
longer. So, he treated them to Chick-fil-A—food, drinks, super-sized fries—the
works. The crew thanked him, ate their lunch, and thirty minutes later
disappeared until the next day. Joe was hopping mad.
New fence? Check. What's next: sod and general landscaping
Book
Recommendation
This week our Book Club discussed Allen Levi’s book, Theo of
Golden.
Stop what you are doing right now. Go. Read the book. One of
the best I have read in a long time. It will restore your hope in humanity. Everyone
has a Theo inside of them.
Something new
Thanks to a daughter-in-law who introduced me to the game,
and to a class I took with some friends, I am learning to play Mahjong. Makes
you think, does Mahjong.
I am also taking German lessons via the Duo language app. Hallo. Ich heiße Maria. Ich Komme aus Augusta, eine stadt in Georgia.
The Reason for the
German Lessons
The 2025 Girls’ Trip to Italy and Alpine Europe! Twenty-six women have signed on for this grand adventure. A few highlights: a Mozart concert and dinner, a train ride on the Bernina express, a cruise on Lake Como, and a visit to a Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles. There are a few spots left. Want to come along?
(Photo: Lake Como, Italy. On Day 7 we will be cruising along its beautiful shores.)





No comments:
Post a Comment