This morning on Facebook, the lovely Wendy from Of Books and Boys nominated me to share seven favorite books over a period of seven days. A writer and true bibliophile, Wendy posts honest, well-written book reviews (per her suggestion, our newly founded book club selected Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine for our very first meeting).
Since I’m going to be in and out next week, I thought I’d post all seven
at once. Now, many of my favorite books have already been mentioned (The Book Thief, The Kite Runner, A Man Called
Ove, The Light Between Oceans),
and I didn’t mention classics because they would ALL be on my list (Jane Eyre being my absolute favorite),
but here is an eclectic list of some books which have found a place on my
bookshelves …
Anna and the Swallow Man (by Gavriel
Savit)
A
book about a man and a little girl wandering the Polish countryside during
WWII. Full of tenderness, beauty, and quotes which inspire you to ponder your place in the universe: "A question holds all
the potential of the living universe within it …"
A Gentleman in Moscow (by Amor Towles)
Absolutely
fascinating. I learned more about Russian history than I ever did in school.
And it was done in such an intriguing way, as told by a count placed on house
arrest at the Hotel Metropol in Moscow.
Bel Canto (by Ann Patchett)
A
lavish birthday party in the home of a vice president somewhere in South
America, a beautiful opera singer, an international guest list, and a band of
gun-wielding terrorists who take everyone hostage. Despite terror-filled days,
music becomes a springboard for beauty and hope.
The Blind Assassin (by Margaret Atwood)
Atwood
wrote The Handmaid’s Tale, so you
know this book is going to be different. And it is. It’s a complex novel (story within a story, with several story lines, flashbacks, and multiple
time schemes) but it’s one which keeps your interest until the very end.
Nightwoods (by Charles Frazier)
This
is the author who wrote the critically acclaimed Cold Mountain. I liked this book more. It’s sad,
violent, beautiful, and redemptive. If you listen to it on audible, the
narrator Will Patton is phenomenal.
Christy (by Catherine Marshall)
This
book is just pure goodness. Despite dirt, poverty, ignorance and superstition, this
book set in the Appalachian mountains reaffirms the basic goodness of humanity.
The Wilderness Series (by Elizabeth
Donati)
Escapism
at its best, and a story well told. You will want to read the entire series as
the characters become like family. In the last book we learn what happens to everyone, and when I finished I was in tears.
Honorable mention
Lost For Words (by Stephanie Butland)
A bookshop, a cast
of quirky, flawed characters … and just like that I was hooked. The story is just
so beautiful, and when you turn the last page you feel satisfied at having just
finished a really good story. And despite tragedy and violence, this is another
one of those books in which goodness, generosity, and love shine through.
Now, what are you waiting for?
Go. Read.
Now, what are you waiting for?
Go. Read.
1 comment:
I think you will enjoy Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I love that I loved some of your already mentioned favorite books too! I think out of the list you shared I've only read Bel Canto so I will look into the others.
Post a Comment