As parents, helping our sons "get ready" for a transition is nothing new--we were there when they took their first steps, attended the first day of Mother's Day Out, studied for their driver's license, asked a girl to the prom, or applied for their first job. All through kindergarten, middle school, high school, and college we stood by their side to encourage and advise.
But this time, with this move to Atlanta, it is different. It's one thing to help your son move into a dorm room, but helping him move into an apartment where he will be completely on his own puts a different spin on the whole letting go thing. And yes, we've been through this before, but no, it doesn't get easier. After we helped our oldest son move to Little Rock, and after I bravely hugged him goodbye, I cried all the way home from Arkansas to Georgia.
During these last two weeks we have been busy preparing for this newest transition with furniture, new bank account, credit card, kitchen items, bed linens, and a last minute dental cleaning. Nonna and Nonno gifted him a set of pots and pans. This morning Joe helped Jonathan purchase car insurance, and yesterday I put together a Pantry Starter Kit (spices, olive oil, cooking spray, kitchen towels). Today we are painting some bookcases.
But the real sign this transition is different, that it is permanent, occurs with the official transfer of THE FOLDER. Joe handles this part, but basically the folder contains all the documents Jonathan needs to begin life in The Real World: his social security card, copy of his birth certificate, the latest prescription for his glasses, copies of his federal and state income tax forms, and the extra set of keys to his car. Inside the folder are also notes from Dad about insurance, budget planning, and tips about this and that.
The folder makes it real. This. Is. Happening.
It's an exciting time for Jonathan, and we are so happy for him, but still ... I think I will keep a box of tissues nearby.
One son in Little Rock (here he is graduating from Clemson)
One son in Atlanta (with a Masters in Accountancy)
One son, our baby, in high school
1 comment:
Oh! I know. I can easily see how it wouldn't get any easier. Particularly, right now.
Post a Comment