Earlier this week I received the following text from Timothy: “Can I make some protein shakes this summer? I won’t have as much access to food, so I want to get some good source of protein and healthy food.”
WELL, as you can imagine, I put him straight. “What?!?” I texted
back. “Not have access to food and worried about not having enough sources of
protein? Do you think you will starve?”
I was half laughing, but also slightly insulted. I mean,
really. All the cooking I do, and he is worried about not getting enough to
eat? To his credit, Timothy immediately texted back saying he did not mean it
the way it sounded; it is just that he has been working out (and bulking up)
this past year and needs to eat more often.
Still half laughing and half exasperated, I did understand.
After all, he just spent the past year living within walking distance of FIVE
dining halls and was accustomed to eating at all hours of the day (and night).
What can I say? The kid likes to eat. Timothy’s well-being
has always been affected by the state of our pantry. A full pantry = happy
teen; a bare pantry = worries that he will starve. In high school, when he
noticed how I always stocked the pantry just prior to a visit from Jonathan or
Nicholas, he began asking for a Jonathan-is-Coming-Home-Pantry or a Nicholas-is-Coming-Home-Pantry.
Tomorrow Timothy is coming home for the summer, so yesterday
I spent several hours at three grocery stores—Publix, Lidl, and Costco—and a
good hour and a half unloading the groceries and putting them away. Full pantry, full fridge, full freezer. Whew.
When I was finished, I sent Timothy the following text: A
Jonathan AND Nicholas pantry is waiting for you.
And I added some kissy smiley faces for emphasis.


2 comments:
The sign made me LOL! I hope he was happy with the full pantry!
Quite the offering. He should be well fed. "Thanks, Mom." Have a grand weekend! Cathy
Post a Comment