Thursday, May 18, 2023

Here!

This morning I waved goodbye to Timothy as he backed down the driveway, and as I watched him turn the corner at the end of our street, I felt the sudden and urgent need to attend Mass.

I suppose I felt a little unmoored, drifting here and there on a current of emotions and feelings. Joe was out of town. Timothy was headed to Pensacola with his buddies from the Catholic Center. I thought of Jonathan and Caroline in Atlanta planning a wedding, and Nicholas and Lauren house hunting in Little Rock. Even my parents were out of town. So yeah, a little unsettled.

Since I waited to see Timothy off this morning, I arrived late to church; in fact, when I slipped into the very last pew Fr. Solomon was just starting his homily. I am not sure how his homily began, but when I sat down all I heard were the words “parents” and “letting go” and “do not be anxious” and “pray for your children.”

And just like that I dropped my anchor, no longer casting about in fretful waters.

Fr. Solomon’s words were soothing, comforting, and they brought me to 1 John 4:18 reminding me how perfect love casts out all fear.

When I walked out of church, I felt that love—perfect and anxious-free—and witnessed it everywhere in my day: at Target, when a tiny man with large, hobbit feet had the kindest smile; in Publix, where a cute three year dressed in a yellow princess dress and yellow wellies was dancing in Aisle 3; at a local eatery where six first responders, all big and burly, sat crammed into a single, tiny booth telling jokes and laughing.

And I felt the love in the kitchen this afternoon when Timothy’s text of “Here!” pinged on my phone and I could sense the joy from that single exclamation point.

2 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

It sounds like a most providential time for you! Thanks be to God! Cathy

Beth Cotell said...

This is beautiful! My husband has been traveling so much this year and my kids are college age and I've just felt a bit lost and lonley. I have found myself regularly attending Adoration, praying more than I ever have, and in general, just clinging to the only thing that brings me peace - God.