So, the last few days I have been in a mood.
My guys think it is amusing, especially since I am in a mood
about two things for which I am not an expert: the world of business and the world
of sports.
It all started Monday night when Joe, Timothy, and I watched
The Founder, a movie about brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald, salesman Ray
Kroc, and the story of the McDonald’s franchise. If you have seen the movie,
then you know what happens; if you have not, here is a synopsis: two nice,
honest, earnest brothers meet Ray Kroc, ruthless and egotistical, who bullies, cheats,
goes back on his word (both oral and written), breaks contracts, and ultimately
steals the brothers’ ideas AND their name.
By the end of the movie, I was incensed at the injustice of
it all, especially when I considered that there is probably a business class
somewhere extolling the drive, ingenuity, vision, and business plan of Ray Kroc
who revolutionized the fast-food concept on a world-wide scale. This class will
analyze charts and study growth patterns and place the Almighty Dollar on a
pedestal which signifies success.
What happened to honesty and integrity? What about respect? Does the end really justify the means?
As I said to my guys: "The next time I see a plaque honoring Ray Kroc as the founder of McDonald's, I might have to say something."
And then, today, the PGA Tour announced that it was merging
with LIV Golf to form “a new collectively owned” entity, and I was in a mood.
Again.
Now, I freely admit that I would rather read a book any day
of the week than sit through a football game or watch a golf match. But I am
surrounded by guys so I do, on occasion, enter their world and so I have been following
the PGA Tour and LIV Golf debacle. Heck, I even watched all eight episodes of
Full Swing on Netflix.
But today the PGA Tour caved. Oh, I listened to the news and
watched interviews, and they tried to sugarcoat things, but the way I see it …
they caved. After months of vehemently declaring they wanted nothing to do with
LIV, they heard the siren call of money and answered that call. Show me the
money! All the golfers who took insane amounts of money to join LIV will now (potentially)
be allowed back, while all those who were loyal to the PGA Tour are left
standing on their integrity (which, in my opinion, is worth millions, but still).
As I said to my guys: “And they call golf a gentleman’s
sport?”
So there you have it. My mood for the week has been influenced by McDonald’s and golf.

No comments:
Post a Comment