Sunday, July 2, 2023

The Book Talk

“We are given these seasons of life, 
and with the passing of these seasons comes the gift of reflection.”

-Maria Novajosky (July 29, 2023)

Although I was at Angevine's to talk about Italy and my Italian Nonna, I started my book talk with an African proverb: When an old person dies, a library burns to the ground.

The proverb, which speaks to the power of a story, was the perfect way to begin my story of how a fountain in some old photos, fifty years of Nonna’s letters, and a painting by Caravaggio inspired me to write a book about my journey as an Italian-American living in the Deep South. It was a journey that came full circle in 2015 when I stood in St. Peter’s Square waiting for Pope Francis to give his Angelus blessing. With me were 23 women who had signed up for the trip, trusting me to get them all the way to Italy and back home again. It turned out to be the first of three trips I would organize.

I am not a natural speaker, preferring instead to hide behind the written word, but in the end I always enjoy giving these talks because I meet the most amazing people. Truly. 

It really is a small world.

Many thanks to my coworkers—Lisa, Mary Jean, and Elizabeth—who hosted the evening, and to Angevine's Fine Silver & Gifts who gave us the most perfect venue, including the Italian souvenir spoons from Rome, Florence, Palermo, and Taormina.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to give a book talk! And that proverb is brilliant (and it's not just the stories - it's the know-how of doing things the ways before various elements of technology came into play, old crafts, etc.).

(but: do you mean June 29, 2023 instead of July 29, 2024?)

Maria (also Bia) said...

Dear Anonymous,
Can you be my editor? :-) Duly noted on the date, and fixed. Grazie mille!