Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Raining Cherry Blossoms

Today, it rained cherry blossoms.

We are in Washington DC for the week and, yes, it is cherry blossom time in our nation’s capital. But the trees that were in full bloom last week have, this week, been subjected to gusty winds and drenching rains which is why it has been raining petals.

But you know what? Despite the rain, the gusty winds, the falling petals, and the cold temperatures … I am in Washington DC!

My plans for this week are this: since Joe is working (today at the Pentagon) and my usual travel companion (he-who-hates-art-museums) is at UGA, I am visiting all the art museums. By myself. When does this ever happen? And I have three days to get it all in!

So, today I spent the ENTIRE day at the Smithsonian’s National Gallery of Art. I explored the West Building (European art), took a guided tour of Italian Renaissance art, read the placards, took notes, and had a lovely lunch in the museum café.  I walked over 14,777 steps through the galleries (including to and from our metro stop).

And here is the crazy part. I am going back tomorrow. I want to revisit a couple of the galleries and take a guided tour of Dutch art. Also, I still have to explore the East Building (modern and contemporary art) and the sculpture garden ... the latter with an umbrella because the forecast is calling for 90% chance of raining cherry blossoms. 





No comments: